[E&M] Question on the Image charge method of a grounding sphere

In summary, Jackson's discussion on image charge method of a grounding sphere involves solving potential and field equations to determine surface charge density.
Shell_E
So I was reading Jackson's discussion on Image charge method of a grounding sphere.
1569989299202.png

He first assumed an image charge q inside Sphere with radius a, so the potential for real change and image charge is
1569988859382.png
The by set potential equal to 0 at x=a, he solved q' and y'
1569988905756.png

Then he can get potential, thus get E field, also can get force on real charge q.
Then he figured out surface charge density by:
1569988929636.png

Then he mentioned that the force on unit area da is just :
1569989038794.png

1569989064843.png

So this is the part I don't get, I understand that σ *da = dq is the charge on area da, but what is the rest part? I don't really get why dF = dq * (σ /2ε ), is that indicate the E field at da is (σ /2ε )? if so, how do we get this?

Thank you!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.

1. Say on thin volume surface surrounding da on conductor sphere,
##E=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}## outside surface and ##E=0## inside surface.

2. Maxwell stress tensor says force per unit area on outside surface is ##\frac{\epsilon_0}{2} E^2=\frac{\sigma^2}{2\epsilon_0}##

3. 1, 2 and ##dF=\sigma da E## tempt us to regard

Shell_E said:
E field at da is (σ /2ε )?
value of which is exact average of outside field and inside field mentioned in 1.

I do not think electric field at the exact point of sphere charge be defined neither physically nor mathematically.

Hi.
Further to post #2 I found texts around Fig.I.5 in Introduction of Jackson Third edition is helpful showing microscopic and macroscopic view of plate charge. It says about plate condenser but applies to our sphere.

Though I said electric field working on sphere charge is not defined, we may make use of convention that
[tex]E=H_{1/2}(x) \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]
where Heaviside step function_1/2 is 0 for x<0 inside, 1/2 for x=0 on surface and 1 for x>0 outside. As Jackson explained it does not correspond to both macro and micro physics and I take it for practical mathematical convention to meet equation ##dF=\frac{E}{\epsilon_0} \sigma da##.

1. What is the Image charge method and how does it work?

The Image charge method is a technique used in electrostatics to calculate the electric field and potential of a point charge near a grounded conducting sphere. It involves creating an imaginary charge (known as the image charge) on the opposite side of the sphere, which cancels out the electric field of the original point charge inside the sphere. This allows for the calculation of the electric field and potential at any point outside the sphere.

2. How accurate is the Image charge method?

The Image charge method is an approximation and is most accurate when the distance between the point charge and the sphere is much smaller than the radius of the sphere. As the distance increases, the accuracy decreases, but it is still a useful tool for understanding the behavior of electric fields near conducting spheres.

3. Can the Image charge method be used for non-spherical objects?

Yes, the Image charge method can be extended to other shapes such as cylinders and planes, as long as they are grounded and have an appropriate symmetry. However, the calculations may become more complex and less accurate compared to the spherical case.

4. What are the limitations of the Image charge method?

The Image charge method assumes that the conducting sphere is perfectly grounded and has a uniform charge distribution. It also does not take into account any other charges or objects in the surrounding environment. Additionally, it only applies to static electric fields and cannot be used for dynamic or time-varying situations.

5. How is the Image charge method used in real-world applications?

The Image charge method has many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and the analysis of electric fields in conducting materials. It is also commonly used in the study of electrostatics and can help in understanding the behavior of electric fields in complex systems.