Charged Particle Free Fall in Grav Field: Does Anyone Know Answer?

In summary, the article discusses a paradoxical situation in which a charged particle (e.g. an electron) falls in a gravitational field, but according to the Equivalence Principle, it should not emit any electromagnetic radiation. However, it is found that the question of whether radiation takes place or not is not invariant against general transformations involving acceleration.
lerus
TL;DR Summary
Will a charged particle, free falling in a gravitation field, emit electromagnetic waves?
From one point of view the charged particle is accelerating and should emit electromagnetic waves.
But from the equivalence principle, I think, it should not.
Does anybody know the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot, somehow I didn't find it myself.
But is it possible that for in free falling observer particle doesn't radiate but for supported observer radiation exists?
I think I have to read the article.

lerus said:
I think I have to read the article.
That's not my specialty, so you will know more than I.

Likes vanhees71
This is not at all a trivial problem, but some notable authors have already written papers on this: see some references here: https://inspirehep.net/literature/44837 and a recent Review Article by Øyvind Grøn.

In the end it boils down to the result that the question of whether radiation takes place or not is not invariant against general transformations involving acceleration. A comoving observer does not observe radiation of a freely falling charge, whereas a stationary observer does.

Last edited:
Thank you for the links.

I saw similar results in other places but it is difficult to understand how it is possible that one observer observes radiation when another doesn't. Radiation takes energy and momentum - it means if charge radiates then it will not follow geodesics. But if there is no radiation then it will (I think) follow geodesics.

Anyways, I'll try to read papers that you mentioned.

lerus said:
I saw similar results in other places but it is difficult to understand how it is possible that one observer observes radiation when another doesn't. Radiation takes energy and momentum
Energy and momentum are frame dependent as well.

lerus said:
But if there is no radiation then it will (I think) follow geodesics.
Depends on the frame. A charge with constant proper acceleration doesn't follow geodesics (frame invariant fact). But in its non-inertial rest frame it doesn't radiate, it just has a distorted (non-radial field). See image (b) below.

A.T. said:
In that context it might be helpful to use images where the acceleration is constant (b), not changing (a):

figures_fieldlinesofacceleratingcharge-png.png

What is a charged particle?

A charged particle is an atom or molecule that has an imbalance of positive or negative electric charge. This can be due to the gain or loss of electrons.

What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the influence of gravity, where the only force acting on the object is the force of gravity. It is characterized by constant acceleration towards the Earth's surface.

What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region in space where a mass experiences a force due to the presence of another mass. In this case, the mass is the Earth and the force is the force of gravity.

How does a charged particle behave in free fall in a gravitational field?

A charged particle in free fall in a gravitational field will experience a force due to gravity, causing it to accelerate towards the Earth's surface. The particle's charge will also interact with the electric field of the Earth, causing it to experience additional forces that may affect its motion.

What are the applications of studying charged particle free fall in a gravitational field?

Studying charged particle free fall in a gravitational field has many applications in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It helps us understand the behavior of particles in different environments, and can also be used in technologies such as particle accelerators, spacecraft propulsion, and medical imaging.