Charged Particles Radiating in "Free Fall" into Black Holes

In summary, the question of whether a charged particle radiates in free-fall does not have a definitive answer. However, according to the research by DeWitt and Brehme, the answer is yes. This is because the electromagnetic Green's function in a curved space-time does not generally vanish, causing the charge to emit radiation. This also suggests that an atom falling into a black hole may ionize due to the acceleration differences of its elementary particles. However, there is still uncertainty and further research is needed to fully understand the effects of radiation in free-fall.
sha1000
Hello everyone,

"Does a charged particle radiate in free-fall?".

I read many threads on this subject and I was surprised to find out that there is no unanimous "Yes or No" answer to this question. Here is an interesting answer from researchgate.net:

The question is widely discussed in the web and seems most definitively have been answered by a work:
Bryce S DeWitt, Robert W Brehme : Radiation damping in a gravitational field. Annals of Physics, Volume 9.2 1960, pp. 220-259.
The answer is yes.
I copy a sentence from the abstract of this work:
"The particle tries its best to satisfy the equivalence principle in spite of its charge. It is only prevented from doing so (i.e., from following a geodetic path) because of the fact that, contrary to the case of flat space-time, the electromagnetic Green's function in a curved space-time does not generally vanish inside the light cone, but gives rise to a “tail” on any initially sharp pulse of radiation."......

......the full statement was that the charge would not radiate if it would follow a geodetic line exactly. As DeWitt and Brehme point out in detail the charge caries with it a Coulomb field which produces reaction forces and prevents the charge from following a geodetic line precisely and by this mechanism let's the charge radiate and changes the answer to yes. Of course, the quantitative aspect of the matter is not clear from this and it may well be that 'yes' may mean 'negligible in all conceivable practical circumstances'.

My question:

Lets suppose that a charged particle radiates in the gravitational "free fall" (does not follow its geodesic line precisely). From this point one may conclude that an electron and the neutron do not accelerate in the same manner in the gravitational field., right? Would this mean that an atom which is falling into the black hole will ionize at some moment (because of the acceleration differences of the elementary particles)? Do we see this experimentally? Or there is no radiation whatsoever and the stars are quietly falling into the black holes?

Thank you.

Likes Glurth and BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
I think no radiation take place in free fall of a single charge into neutral charged BH. In co-moving frame with a falling charge, there is no reason for photon to be generated. Not a single charge but heated plasma gas falling into BF emit X-ray, but it is another story for you I suppose.

sweet springs said:
I think no radiation take place in free fall. In co-moving frame with falling charge, there is no reason of photon generated.
The problem is that the fields associated with the charge aren't pointlike, so neglecting curvature by considering only a small region of spacetime neglects the particle's fields. And the fields must be changing because the particle is moving through regions of spacetime with different curvature. Hence the complexity.

I don't know enough about it to answer the OP's question.

Last edited:
Likes sha1000

What are charged particles radiating in "free fall" into black holes?

Charged particles radiating in "free fall" into black holes refers to the phenomenon of charged particles being accelerated and emitting electromagnetic radiation as they fall towards a black hole. This radiation can be observed by scientists and can provide valuable information about the properties of black holes.

How do charged particles behave in the vicinity of a black hole?

In the presence of a black hole, charged particles can experience strong electromagnetic forces that cause them to accelerate and emit radiation. As they fall closer to the black hole, they can reach extremely high speeds and emit intense radiation, making them visible to scientists studying the black hole.

What are some potential applications of studying charged particles radiating in "free fall" into black holes?

Studying charged particles in the vicinity of black holes can provide valuable insights into the behavior of electromagnetic radiation in extreme conditions. This information can be applied to various fields such as astrophysics, gravitational physics, and even to improve our understanding of fundamental laws of physics.

Can charged particles be used to study black holes?

Yes, charged particles can be used to study black holes as their behavior and radiation can provide important clues about the properties of the black hole, such as its mass, spin, and electric charge. Scientists use specialized instruments and techniques to detect and analyze the radiation emitted by charged particles near black holes.

What challenges do scientists face when studying charged particles radiating in "free fall" into black holes?

Studying charged particles in the vicinity of black holes is a complex and challenging task. The intense radiation emitted by these particles can be difficult to detect and analyze. Additionally, the extreme gravitational forces near black holes can affect the behavior of charged particles, making it challenging to accurately interpret their observations.