Charging a battery and monitoring the current w/ an instrumentation amp

In summary: Vcharge = Vbatt + Icharge x RmonHere’s that graphIn summary, the voltage across Rmon will also drop as the charging current changes from 1.3A to 26mA.
Weaver

Homework Statement

2017 Screenshot.png

2017 Q.png

Homework Equations

CMRR = Av/Acm

Acm= Δ/R , Δ = (2 x Tolerance of Resistor).R

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to admit I am a bit confused by the premise of the problem.
My understanding is Vout is used to vary Vcharge in some way, so that Icharge is always 1.3 A. Then when the battery is charged to 4.2 V, Vcharge is held constant (at whatever it's voltage is at that time). As a result, the voltage across Rmon drops due to the battery voltage increasing and Icharge decreases as well. When Icharge drops to below 0.026A, Vcharge is switched off, presumably from the out Vout being at a set value

Is that correct?

If so I am confused by part (i) then. The voltage applied at the battery is supposed to be always above 4.2V - 1%. And the current following through Rmon is 1.3A. But we don't know an initial value for Vcharge. From my understanding, Rmon drops a voltage across it so that
Vcharge - Icharge.Rmon - Vbatt = 4.2V

With two unknowns and one equation(I think the equation can be simplified assuming Vbatt is 0 flat at the start of charging).

I know that assumption must be wrong but I don't really know why? Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 2017 Screenshot.png
    2017 Screenshot.png
    3 KB · Views: 679
  • 2017 Q.png
    2017 Q.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Weaver said:
Then when the battery is charged to 4.2 V, Vcharge is held constant (at whatever it's voltage is at that time).
What does the voltage across VMON do when the charging current changes from1.3A to 26mA?

Cheers,
Tom
(Tricky problem statement. I had to read it three times to keep track!)

Likes Weaver
Tom.G said:
What does the voltage across VMON do when the charging current changes from1.3A to 26mA?

Cheers,
Tom
(Tricky problem statement. I had to read it three times to keep track!)

The voltage across Rmon will also drop.

Oh! Would the voltage across RMon at that point 4.2V -1% referred to in the problem statement?

Is the voltage applied to the battery Icharge. RMon ?

Last edited:
Weaver said:
Oh! Would the voltage across RMon at that point 4.2V -1% referred to in the problem statement?

Is the voltage applied to the battery Icharge. RMon ?
Umm, did you leave a few words or terms out of those questions? I can't seem to follow what you are getting at. (you may be close to the right track, though)

Likes Weaver
Tom.G said:
Umm, did you leave a few words or terms out of those questions? I can't seem to follow what you are getting at. (you may be close to the right track, though)

Sorry that was a bad explanation

The voltage at the battery must never go below 4.2-1%V

When the battery is charged, it's at 4.2V

So would Icharge x Rmon be 0.042V (the 1%)?

Weaver said:
Vcharge - Icharge.Rmon - Vbatt = 4.2V
Well, keep that in the back of your head for now. Something close to it will likely be used later.

Can you write the equation for Vcharge as it varies with battery voltage, battery current, and the value of RMON?
Vcharge= {some function of} VBATT, IBATT, RMON

Also sketching a graph for IBATT and Vchargeversus Time may help you to see what is happening. There isn't enough information given to put values on the Time axis, so don't worry about labelling it. No need to post it at this time if it is inconvenient. If words fail us later I may ask for it though.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
Well, keep that in the back of your head for now. Something close to it will likely be used later.

Can you write the equation for Vcharge as it varies with battery voltage, battery current, and the value of RMON?
Vcharge= {some function of} VBATT, IBATT, RMON

Also sketching a graph for IBATT and Vchargeversus Time may help you to see what is happening. There isn't enough information given to put values on the Time axis, so don't worry about labelling it. No need to post it at this time if it is inconvenient. If words fail us later I may ask for it though.

Cheers,
Tom

Vcharge = Vbatt + Icharge x Rmon

Here’s that graph
EA9F70EA-CE3F-4770-A841-DFD7D82A2069.jpeg
(Thanks for all your help)

Attachments

• EA9F70EA-CE3F-4770-A841-DFD7D82A2069.jpeg
    EA9F70EA-CE3F-4770-A841-DFD7D82A2069.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 363
I agree with both the equation and graph.
Looks like you've got a handle on it!

All that is needed now is to yank on the handle enough to answer the problem. :wink:

Cheers,
Tom

1. How do I charge a battery using an instrumentation amp?

To charge a battery using an instrumentation amp, you will need to connect the battery to the instrumentation amp and then connect the instrumentation amp to a power source. The instrumentation amp will regulate the current going into the battery, preventing it from overcharging.

2. Why is it important to monitor the current when charging a battery?

Monitoring the current when charging a battery is important because it helps prevent overcharging, which can damage the battery and decrease its lifespan. It also allows you to track the battery's charging progress and ensure that it is receiving the appropriate amount of power.

3. What is the purpose of an instrumentation amp in battery charging?

An instrumentation amp is used in battery charging to regulate the current going into the battery. It also amplifies and filters the signal from the battery, allowing for more accurate monitoring of the current.

4. Can I use an instrumentation amp to charge different types of batteries?

Yes, an instrumentation amp can be used to charge different types of batteries as long as it is properly calibrated for the specific battery type. Different batteries may require different charging currents and voltages, so it is important to consult the battery's specifications and adjust the instrumentation amp accordingly.

5. Is it safe to leave a battery charging unattended when using an instrumentation amp?

It is generally safe to leave a battery charging unattended when using an instrumentation amp, as long as the instrumentation amp is functioning properly and the battery is not being overcharged. However, it is always recommended to monitor the charging process periodically to ensure everything is working as it should.