Charging Super Capacitor w/Buck Converter: Max Voltage Draw?

In summary, if you are charging a super capacitor with a buck converter, and the capacitor is rated for 2.5 volts, you should make sure the voltages are written on thebuck converter correctly, and if the capacitor is attached to a digital power supply, you should turn it off when the voltage reaches 2.5 volts.
Puglife
If I am charging a super capacitor with buck converter, that is a 1 amp, 1-18 volt output, and the capacitor is rated for 2.5 volts, how do I stop the buck converter from feeding it more than 2.5 volts? When I attach the capacitor to my digital power supply, it starts charging, and the voltage slowly increase to be more than 2.5 volts, at which point I turn it off. I was wondering will it draw more than 2.5 volts from my buck converter? If so how do I stop it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Puglife said:
If I am charging a super capacitor with buck converter, that is a 1 amp, 1-18 volt output, and the capacitor is rated for 2.5 volts, how do I stop the buck converter from feeding it more than 2.5 volts? When I attach the capacitor to my digital power supply, it starts charging, and the voltage slowly increase to be more than 2.5 volts, at which point I turn it off. I was wondering will it draw more than 2.5 volts from my buck converter? If so how do I stop it?
Can you say more about the application? Can you post a link to the Buck converter you are using? :smile:

berkeman said:
Can you say more about the application? Can you post a link to the Buck converter you are using? :smile:
Yes, I had accidentally wrote the wrong voltages for the buck converter, it is 1.23 to 30, but the application, and 2.5 volt capacitor is the same. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BHAOQO/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Wait, is that an adjustable output voltage, because the pot looking thing with the screw looks like it would be adjustable? If they are adjustable, then problem solved.

Puglife said:
Wait, is that an adjustable output voltage, because the pot looking thing with the screw looks like it would be adjustable? If they are adjustable, then problem solved.
Yes, that is probably how it works. It should say on the datasheet or application note.

berkeman said:
Yes, that is probably how it works. It should say on the datasheet or application note.
thanks

1. What is a super capacitor and how does it differ from a regular capacitor?

A super capacitor, also known as an ultracapacitor, is an energy storage device that can store and release a large amount of energy quickly. It differs from a regular capacitor in that it has a higher capacitance, meaning it can store more charge, and it has a longer lifespan due to its ability to handle more charge-discharge cycles.

2. How does a buck converter work in charging a super capacitor?

A buck converter is a type of DC-DC converter that steps down the input voltage to a lower output voltage. In charging a super capacitor, the buck converter takes the input voltage from a power source and converts it to a lower voltage that is suitable for charging the super capacitor. This allows for efficient charging and prevents the super capacitor from being overcharged.

3. What is the maximum voltage draw for charging a super capacitor with a buck converter?

The maximum voltage draw for charging a super capacitor with a buck converter depends on the specific characteristics of the super capacitor and the buck converter. Generally, the buck converter should be set to output a voltage that is slightly lower than the maximum rated voltage of the super capacitor to avoid overcharging. It is important to refer to the datasheets of both components to determine the appropriate maximum voltage draw.

4. What are the benefits of using a buck converter in charging a super capacitor?

Using a buck converter in charging a super capacitor has several benefits. Firstly, it ensures that the super capacitor is charged with a controlled and stable voltage, preventing overcharging and potential damage. Secondly, the buck converter allows for efficient charging, as it can step down the input voltage to a lower, more suitable level. Lastly, using a buck converter can prolong the lifespan of the super capacitor by preventing it from being exposed to high voltages.

5. Can a super capacitor be charged without a buck converter?

Yes, a super capacitor can be charged without a buck converter. However, using a buck converter is recommended as it provides more control over the charging process and helps to prevent overcharging. If a buck converter is not used, it is important to carefully monitor the charging voltage and ensure that it does not exceed the maximum rated voltage of the super capacitor.