Chat Room to Be Removed Later This Week

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: I guess that's because I started using chat after it had been switched back to the original chat. I used to be a huge fan of Sunday chat. It was the highlight of my week, to be honest. Remember how we all used to make turkey (or other types) pot pies together, drink coffee, even listen to one user (who shall remain nameless) type in all the dialog of the movie he happened to be watching at the time. We would bond with relationship stories, tales of our trials and tribulations of the previous week, and goals for the future. And toward the end the night we might even finish off the day with a mixed drink together. Oh, the days.But without the sound effects it all falls
Chat will be removed later this week. Over the past year the chat room has not met our expectations for activity and productivity. More times than not it's used by new members confused on where to post. We will still hold periodic chat events for trivia, contests and holidays. Thanks!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Even when the new chat was fairly active, I found it very unproductive to use compared with the old one because it didn't have the audible indication that something had arrived, so if I was doing something else at the same time (which was normally the case for the old chat) I'd either have to waste time checking for replies or I'd miss things for several minutes.

Likes Silicon Waffle and Greg Bernhardt
Chat was one of the first things I used as a PF member. Oh well, it's too bad it has to go but I understand.

The best chat was the original chat. Oh well. The busiest chats (if indeed they still happened) are no longer in my time zone anyway. :P

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I agree with @Jonathan Scott's input.

I think chat would shine again (at least the Sunday chat) if we could get the sound effects back. The sounds give the user an indication of when somebody enters, leaves or posts: a prompt for the user to take a new look at the chat window. Without the sound effects many posts might go unread, somebody might enter and leave, without the user even knowing. Without sound, one must check the chat window over and over, even if no activity is taking place. This sort of frustration is enough to cause one to initially start ignoring the chat window; and ultimately to rarely, if ever, participate in chat anymore (at least for me).

collinsmark said:
I agree with @Jonathan Scott's input.

I think chat would shine again (at least the Sunday chat) if we could get the sound effects back. The sounds give the user an indication of when somebody enters, leaves or posts: a prompt for the user to take a new look at the chat window. Without the sound effects many posts might go unread, somebody might enter and leave, without the user even knowing. Without sound, one must check the chat window over and over, even if no activity is taking place. This sort of frustration is enough to cause one to initially start ignoring the chat window; and ultimately to rarely, if ever, participate in chat anymore (at least for me).
Yes, that was a killer. Plus there was a glitch where if you used chrome, chat would become invisible causing you to constantly close and re-open your browser, something most people were not willing to do. The shoutbox was just too buggy and people weren't willing to put up with it.

Perhaps someday Greg will have the option to use a great chat like the chat we had with VB again. We just do not have that option with xenforo.

And let me follow up with that,

I used to be a huge fan of Sunday chat. It was the highlight of my week, to be honest. Remember how we all used to make turkey (or other types) pot pies together, drink coffee, even listen to one user (who shall remain nameless) type in all the dialog of the movie he happened to be watching at the time? We would bond with relationship stories, tales of our trials and tribulations of the previous week, and goals for the future. And toward the end the night we might even finish off the day with a mixed drink together. Oh, the days.

But without the sound effects it all falls apart.

[In response to @Evo's last post: I agree it was buggy. Chat did crash quite a lot, as I remember. To me though, that was all part of the fun; it kept us on our toes. :woot:]

collinsmark said:
And let me follow up with that,

I used to be a huge fan of Sunday chat. It was the highlight of my week, to be honest. Remember how we all used to make turkey (or other types) pot pies together, drink coffee, even listen to one user (who shall remain nameless) type in all the dialog of the movie he happened to be watching at the time. We would bond with relationship stories, tales of our trials and tribulations of the previous week, and goals for the future. And toward the end the night we might even finish off the day with a mixed drink together. Oh, the days.

But without the sound effects it all falls apart.

[In response to @Evo's last post: I agree it was buggy. Chat did crash quite a lot, as I remember. To me though, that was all part of the fun. :woot:]
Oh, no, I'm saying this chat was buggy, the old chat was great.

Likes collinsmark
collinsmark said:
I think chat would shine again (at least the Sunday chat) if we could get the sound effects back.
I hear you, but at the moment there isn't a chat option I've come across that works with Xenforo, is secure (the old chat actually was severely insecure), regularly updated and has the feature set you want.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I hear you, but at the moment there isn't a chat option I've come across that works with Xenforo, is secure (the old chat actually was severely insecure), regularly updated and has the feature set you want.
I understand. Those things are important.

Perhaps I was just reminiscing about happy times of days past.

Maybe in the future something will come up.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Evo said:
Yes, that was a killer. Plus there was a glitch where if you used chrome, chat would become invisible causing you to constantly close and re-open your browser, something most people were not willing to do. The shoutbox was just too buggy and people weren't willing to put up with it.

Perhaps someday Greg will have the option to use a great chat like the chat we had with VB again. We just do not have that option with xenforo.

I always use Google Chrome. I'm glad I never experienced this glitch.

Rio Larsen said:
I always use Google Chrome. I'm glad I never experienced this glitch.
A lot of people had the same problem.

collinsmark said:
... toward the end the night we might even finish off the day with a mixed drink together. Oh, the days.
The good ol' days. I'll drink to that.
drunk.gif

Likes Greg Bernhardt and collinsmark
Evo said:
... Plus there was a glitch where if you used chrome, chat would become invisible causing you to constantly close and re-open your browser, something most people were not willing to do.
I'm sure that was a Chrome bug, not a problem in the chat software. It occurred regularly on Windows Vista or when DirectWrite was deliberately disabled in the Chrome flags (which often improved readability of fonts) on Windows 7 through 10.

At some point within the last few weeks I stopped seeing it, although a related problem with screen corruption (with the same options) which I opened last April is still present on other pages although with somewhat different symptoms now; I think that both problems were probably related to some sort of storage overlay which went away more by chance than because of being fixed.

Greg Bernhardt said:

I know this has probably been suggested before but I have had great experiences on other forums with the Miuna Shoutbox

I am new here and never got to experience the previous chat but I like the idea of the site having a chat service

1. Why is the chat room being removed?

The chat room is being removed because it is no longer being used and maintaining it would require additional resources and effort.

2. When exactly will the chat room be removed?

The chat room will be removed later this week. The exact date and time may vary depending on technical considerations, but it will be removed by the end of this week.

3. Will I lose all my chat history?

Unfortunately, yes. When the chat room is removed, all chat history will be permanently deleted. We suggest that you save any important conversations before the chat room is removed.

4. Can the chat room be saved or moved to another platform?

No, the chat room will not be saved or moved to another platform. It will be completely removed from our system.

5. Are there any alternatives to the chat room?

Currently, there are no alternatives to the chat room within our system. However, we are constantly exploring new features and options for our users, so stay tuned for any updates.