Cheap function generator options.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a toroidal coil for wireless power transfer experiments. The main problem is finding a function generator that can output 1-5 MHz at an affordable price. Suggestions are made for DIY options using a PIC or dsPIC, but it may be difficult to produce a decent 5 MHz sine wave.
chayced
I'm playing around with a toroidal coil and eventually want to use it for some wireless power transfer experiments. My problem is that i need a function generator that can output around 1-5 mhz, and they are kinda pricey. I'm not going to need to know the precise frequency I'm producing, just to be able to sweep it through a range until I hit resonance. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm really looking for an option under $50, because if I go much over that I might as well spend the money on a used unit off eBay.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
once i made a quick and dirty fg with a PIC. You can try this, but it may be difficult to produce a decent 5 MHz sine wave; got a scope?

A 1 MHz sine wave is probably do-able.

You could also hit the torroid with an impulse, collect data with a dsPIC, and then fft.

hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will give you some help.

cheers

I would recommend considering purchasing a used function generator on eBay as it may be the most cost-effective option for your specific needs. However, if you are set on finding a cheap option under $50, I suggest researching DIY function generator kits or building your own using inexpensive components. Keep in mind that the accuracy and precision of your frequency output may not be as reliable with these options compared to a more expensive, commercially available function generator. Additionally, consider reaching out to colleagues or other scientists in your field to see if they have any recommendations or resources for affordable function generators. Good luck with your experiments!

1. What is a function generator?

A function generator is a type of electronic test equipment that is used to generate different types of electrical waveforms, such as sine, square, and triangle waves. It is commonly used in electronics labs for testing and troubleshooting circuits.

2. Why are function generators important for scientific research?

Function generators are important for scientific research because they allow scientists to create and manipulate specific waveforms for experiments and data analysis. They also provide a reliable and accurate source of electrical signals for testing and calibration purposes.

3. What are some key features to consider when choosing a cheap function generator?

Some key features to consider when choosing a cheap function generator include the frequency range, waveform types, accuracy, stability, and ease of use. It is also important to consider the specific needs of your research or experiments and choose a function generator that can meet those requirements.

4. Can a cheap function generator provide the same quality and accuracy as a more expensive one?

It depends on the specific model and brand of the function generator. While more expensive function generators may have higher quality components and better features, there are also many affordable options that can provide similar levels of accuracy and stability. It is important to research and compare different models before making a purchase.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a cheap function generator?

One potential drawback of using a cheap function generator is that it may have a limited frequency range or fewer waveform options compared to more expensive models. It may also have lower accuracy and stability, which could affect the reliability of your experiments or test results. However, with proper research and consideration, a cheap function generator can still be a valuable tool for scientific research.