Check for the convergence or divergence of the following series

In summary, this series appears to converge, but you need to use a stronger fact about cos of small angles.
freshman2013

Homework Statement

Here are some series I'm completely stuck on.
1.sqrt(n)*(1-cos(1/n))

2. a series in which if n is odd, then an is 1/(n+[itex]\sqrt[]{n}[/itex]) while if n is even, then an is -1/n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1., I tried integral test which seemed impossible to integrate, and then I tried comparison test but i can't find anything to compare to

For 2. I thought that as n approaches infinity for 1/(n+[itex]\sqrt[]{n}[/itex]), which equals (1/[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex])/([itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex]+1), then that expression pretty much looks like 1/n and thus the series is approx (-1)^n/n and is thus conditionally convergent like (-1)^n/n. But I then realized perhaps you can't apply the alternating series test since in the original series, the abs value of it is not decreasing for every term.E.g.1/(100+root(100))=1/110 < 1/101 Anyone have any idea on how to tackle this, or am I right from my original attempt?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
freshman2013 said:

Homework Statement

Here are some series I'm completely stuck on.
1.sqrt(n)*(1-cos(1/n))

2. a series in which if n is odd, then an is 1/(n+[itex]\sqrt[]{n}[/itex]) while if n is even, then an is -1/n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1., I tried integral test which seemed impossible to integrate, and then I tried comparison test but i can't find anything to compare to

For 2. I thought that as n approaches infinity for 1/(n+[itex]\sqrt[]{n}[/itex]), which equals (1/[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex])/([itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex]+1), then that expression pretty much looks like 1/n and thus the series is approx (-1)^n/n and is thus conditionally convergent like (-1)^n/n. But I then realized perhaps you can't apply the alternating series test since in the original series, the abs value of it is not decreasing for every term.E.g.1/(100+root(100))=1/110 < 1/101 Anyone have any idea on how to tackle this, or am I right from my original attempt?

Let's start with #1.

Your series is: ##\sum_{n=1}^{∞} \sqrt{n} - \sqrt{n}cos(\frac{1}{n})##

I know this may seem misleading, but this series appears to converge.

Hint: ##|cos(\frac{1}{n})| ≤ 1##

Zondrina said:
Let's start with #1.
I know this may seem misleading, but this series appears to converge.

Hint: ##|cos(\frac{1}{n})| ≤ 1##
Yes, it converges, but you need to use a stronger fact about cos of small angles. Freshman2013, do you know the Taylor expansion of cos?

For the first problem, this trig identity may be useful: ##2\sin^2(x) = 1 - \cos(2x)##.

For problem 2, try adding ##a_n## and ##a_{n+1}##, where ##n## is odd.

so for the second one, could I do this:
the first term 1/(n+[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex]) for all odd n, I rewrite as a separate series 1/(2n-1+[itex]\sqrt{2n-1}[/itex]) and the 2nd term -1/n for all even n I rewrite as -1/(2n)

I combine those two series and I get (1-[itex]\sqrt{2n-1}[/itex])/(4n^2-2n+2n[itex]\sqrt{2n-1}[/itex]) and test for that(which is convergent). And I do the same except with 1/2n instead -1/2n to check for absolute convergence.

freshman2013 said:
And I do the same except with 1/2n instead -1/2n to check for absolute convergence.
For absolute convergence, you can do something simpler. I claim that if there is some subsequence ##(n_k)_{k=1}^{\infty}## such that ##\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} |a_{n_k}|## diverges, then ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |a_n|## must also diverge. If you can prove this, then you can apply it immediately to your series.

Related to Check for the convergence or divergence of the following series

1. What is the purpose of checking for convergence or divergence of a series?

The purpose of checking for convergence or divergence of a series is to determine whether the series will have a finite value (converge) or will tend towards infinity (diverge) as the number of terms increases. This information is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as it can help us understand the behavior and properties of the series.

2. How do you check for convergence or divergence of a series?

There are several methods for checking the convergence or divergence of a series, including the comparison test, the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These methods involve evaluating the limit of the series and comparing it to known values or using established criteria to determine whether the series will converge or diverge.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent series?

A convergent series is one that has a finite value as the number of terms approaches infinity, while a divergent series is one that tends towards infinity as the number of terms increases. In simpler terms, a convergent series has a sum that can be calculated, while a divergent series does not.

4. Why is it important to know if a series converges or diverges?

Knowing whether a series converges or diverges can help us understand the behavior and properties of the series, and can also help us make predictions and calculations in various fields of mathematics and science. It can also help us determine if a series is useful or not in solving a particular problem or equation.

5. Can a series both converge and diverge?

No, a series can only either converge or diverge. It cannot do both simultaneously. However, it is possible for a series to alternate between convergence and divergence, depending on the values of the terms in the series and the method used to check for convergence or divergence.