Check my answer please simple current/power problem

• Thread starter nchin
  • Start date
In summary: Assuming 100% efficiency, the Nissan leaf would use 79.85 kW of power to run its electric motor. This would take 8 hours to recharge at a 220 V charging station.
nchin
The Nissan leaf is powered by 107 hp electric motor, kept alive by a pack of batteries, It takes 79.85 kilowatts to run the motor, assuming 100% efficiency.

a) The Nissan contains a 24kWh battery pack and its estimated that using a 220V charging dock at home. The leaf can be charged in 8 hours. What the current as the leaf is charging?
b) if it cost 11 cents perkilowatthour, how much does it cost to fully charge the leaf?

my answers:
a) i = P/V =>(24000*8)/220 = 872.7 A
b)79.851 x 8 hours = 638.808
638.808 x .11 = $70.26

is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not right.

If the battery can supply 24 kW for 1 hr then if it had to be recharged in 1 hr it would take how many amperes to recharge? And if we can take 8 hrs to recharge, would that take more or less current?

rude man said:
Not right.

If the battery can supply 24 kW for 1 hr then if it had to be recharged in 1 hr it would take how many amperes to recharge? And if we can take 8 hrs to recharge, would that take more or less current?

i don't understand. (24 kW times 8 hours to recharge)/220V?

Think about the units for kWh

= Watts * time(in hours)/1000
= Current(Amp) * Voltage(volts) * time(in hours)/1000

PS I believe a Leaf can be charged from a normal domestic socket so 800-900A is unlikely

CWatters said:
Think about the units for kWh

= Watts * time(in hours)/1000
= Current(Amp) * Voltage(volts) * time(in hours)/1000

PS I believe a Leaf can be charged from a normal domestic socket so 800-900A is unlikely

24000 * 8 hours /1000 = 192 W

current=192W / 220Volts = 0.87 amps?

nchin said:
24000 * 8 hours /1000 = 192 W

current=192W / 220Volts = 0.87 amps?

No you missunderstood my post totally.

I start from the beginning ...

The battery stores a quantity of energy. I wish they would specify that in Joules but they used kWH instead which is ok.

kWH means kilo Watt Hours so a sum that gives an answer in kWH will involve multipling power(in Watts) by time(in hours).

Specifically...

Energy (in KWH) = Power(in Watts) * time(in hours)/1000.....(1)

but as you know

Power(in watts) = Current(in Amps) * Voltage(Volts)......(2)

substitute to give..

Energy (in KWH) = Current(Amp) * Voltage(volts) * time(in hours)/1000

The question asks for the current so rearrange that to give

Current = (Energy * 1000) / (Voltage * time)

Then plug the numbers in.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is a simple current/power problem?

A simple current/power problem involves calculating the amount of electric current or power in a simple circuit. This typically involves using Ohm's Law (V=IR) to solve for current or power given the voltage and resistance.

2. How do I solve a simple current/power problem?

To solve a simple current/power problem, you will need to know the values of voltage and resistance in the circuit. Then, use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the current or power. Make sure to use the correct units (volts, amps, and ohms) in your calculations.

3. What are the units for current and power?

The unit for electric current is ampere (A) and the unit for power is watt (W). Both of these units are part of the International System of Units (SI).

4. Can you explain Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor (such as a wire) is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving current/power problems?

Some common mistakes when solving current/power problems include using the wrong units, forgetting to use the correct formula (Ohm's Law), and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct units and formulas to avoid these mistakes.