Checking my answer.... finding the power of a current and a voltage source

The sum of power input should equal the sum of power output.In summary, the current source and voltage source in the given circuit are connected in parallel and series, with both having the same voltage and current. The power supplied by the current source is 41.25W, while the voltage source is also supplying power as current exits its positive terminal, resulting in a power output of 41.25W. This is consistent with the conservation of energy principle, where the sum of power input should equal the sum of power output in a circuit.
EleventhFromHeaven

Homework Statement

The current source and voltage source in the circuit shown in the Figure below are connected in parallel so that they both have the same voltage, vs. The current source and voltage source are also connected in series so that they both have the same current, is. Suppose that vs = 15 V and is = 2.75 A. Calculate the power supplied (a) by the current source and (b) by the voltage source.
EAT_1186723673470_0_0154651397014097250.gif

Homework Equations

P=IV
(possibly) V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems pretty simple but I'm not very confident in my skills (first time doing a circuits class) I did P=IV for the current source and got 41.25W (which is correct). But for the voltage source, I got 41.25W. I want some clarification on this. I used P=IV but since the current exits the negative terminal, it's supplying power so it's positive.

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot see a picture, but if current is exiting the positive terminal of a voltage source (entering negative term) then the voltage source is supplying power.

scottdave said:
It looks that site requires a login. Try screenshot or rightclick and download the picture, then upload here. Perhaps you are able to see it, because you are already logged into WileyPlus?
I cut this out of the screenshot, hopefully you can see it:
upload_2017-10-15_12-29-26.png

So it is as I had guessed. Current going into the positive of the voltage source means the voltage source is absorbing energy (or power), like when you charge up a Battery

Likes CWatters
As a check.. apply conservation of energy to the whole circuit.

Likes donpacino

1. How do I calculate the power of a current source?

The power of a current source can be calculated by multiplying the current (in amperes) by the voltage (in volts) across the source. This will give you the power in watts (W).

2. How do I calculate the power of a voltage source?

The power of a voltage source can be calculated by multiplying the voltage (in volts) by the current (in amperes) flowing through the source. This will give you the power in watts (W).

3. What is the unit of power in electrical circuits?

The unit of power in electrical circuits is the watt (W), named after inventor and engineer James Watt. It is a measure of the rate at which energy is transferred or used.

4. How is power related to energy in electrical circuits?

Power and energy are related by the equation P = E/t, where P is power in watts, E is energy in joules, and t is time in seconds. This means that the energy used or transferred by an electrical device is equal to its power multiplied by the time it is operating.

5. Can the power of a current or voltage source be negative?

Yes, the power of a current or voltage source can be negative. This occurs when the source is absorbing energy rather than supplying it. In other words, the source is acting as a load rather than a source of energy.