Checking that a coherent state is an eigenfunction of an operator

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a physical system that closely resembles classical particles. The lowering operator acts on the energy eigenstates and can be used to solve the problem. By changing the variable and manipulating the summation, it is shown that the eigenvalue is just λ. The conversation ends with gratitude for the help in solving the problem.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I'll type this thing up in Word.

http://imageshack.com/a/img716/8219/wycz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the physical system in question, is it a harmonic oscillator? If it is, then the lowering operator acts on the energy eigenstates as ##\hat{a}\psi_{n}(x)=\sqrt{n}\psi_{n-1}(x)##. This is the only info you need in order to solve the problem.

The question doesn't say that it is a harmonic oscillator, but it does say that "these states closely resemble classical particles" so I think you're right. If I do as you say, I end up with this:
http://imageshack.com/a/img69/8361/loix.jpg

The lowering operator annihilates the ground state: ##\hat{a}\psi_{0}(x)=0##. Also, you can change the variable over which the summation is, e.g. ##k=n-1##. That way you should be able to show that acting on the coherent state with the lowering operator is equivalent to multiplying with a constant.

Okay I'm lost...T_T Is this what you mean?
http://imageshack.com/a/img703/889/xvhg.jpg

I feel kinda stupid now ¬_¬

After you change the index, the summation should be from ##k=0## to ##k=\infty## and the exponent of ##\lambda## becomes ##k+1##...

So you mean this?
http://imageshack.com/a/img842/8932/5a4q.jpg

which means that the eigenvalue is just...[itex]λ[/itex]?

Wow thank you :d !

that was supposed to be all caps but i guess it got filtered :(

1. What is a coherent state?

A coherent state is a type of quantum state that represents a classical-like state of a quantum system. It is characterized by a well-defined phase and a minimum uncertainty in the position and momentum of the system.

2. How do you check if a coherent state is an eigenfunction of an operator?

To check if a coherent state is an eigenfunction of an operator, you can apply the operator to the coherent state and see if it returns the same state multiplied by a constant. If it does, then the coherent state is an eigenfunction of that operator.

3. What is the significance of a coherent state being an eigenfunction of an operator?

If a coherent state is an eigenfunction of an operator, it means that the state is a solution to the corresponding eigenvalue equation. This allows us to easily calculate the expectation value of that operator for the coherent state.

4. Can a coherent state be an eigenfunction of multiple operators?

Yes, a coherent state can be an eigenfunction of multiple operators. This is because different operators can have the same eigenfunctions and eigenvalues.

5. How is the eigenvalue of a coherent state related to its classical counterpart?

The eigenvalue of a coherent state is related to its classical counterpart through the uncertainty principle. The coherent state has a minimum uncertainty, which is equivalent to having a well-defined classical value for the corresponding observable.