Chelyabinsk Meteor Strike: How Bright Was It?

• Thread starter TumblingDice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteor
In summary, the documentary explains how a meteor struck Earth last year, causing a large explosion and shock wave. The video clips show how scientists tracked the meteor's shadow with street lamps, and how the incoming speed was 40,000 MPH.
TumblingDice
Gold Member
I was flipping through the new releases on Netflix this morning when I pleasantly stumbled across a NOVA documentary that aired on PBS last year. If you haven't seen it and have Netflix, I recommend checking it out.

"NOVA: Meteor Strike"

Excellent video clips, tracking, data analysis, and entertaining, too. I learned more than a few highly interesting gems and tidbits. One team of scientists on the other side of the globe were computing the path from videos - but not from the ones you might expect. They had footage from several municipal street cams, and were using the lampposts on the streets - tracking their rapidly moving shadows from the light of the meteor kind of like sundials.

They said this was the most highly documented meteor strike of its kind by video, all due to the huge popularity of dash cams in Russian for legal protection and insurance purposes. (!)

The incoming speed was 40K MPH. :bugeye: Explosion took place at an altitude of about 15 miles. This caused a delay of three minutes between the visual show and the huge shock wave that caught people by surprise. I think they approximated at 100 megatons of TNT. I was extremely surprised to learn that the brilliant light and the explosion are not caused by high temps from atmospheric friction. When a puppy like this comes at us at 40K mph, it's the pressure bubble that forms in front of the leading edge of the meteor that super heats the atmosphere and precipitates both the light and the stress the ultimately causes the explosion.

The program was a great ride for me, as you can probably tell. :wink:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Yes this was an awesome tour of science observation and detection:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2358778286/

cant view that one in Australia ... probably only those in the USA can

Dave

davenn said:
brilliant ... pun intended

really gives you an idea of its brightness when it is still visible passing within a degree of the sun!Dave

Yea; that's what I was thinking...brilliant in full daylight at full sun...was wondering what magnitude it reached...seems hard to estimate from videos.

1. What caused the Chelyabinsk Meteor Strike?

The Chelyabinsk Meteor Strike was caused by a meteoroid, a small piece of debris in space, entering Earth's atmosphere at high speeds and exploding in the air.

2. How big was the meteor that caused the Chelyabinsk Meteor Strike?

The meteor that caused the Chelyabinsk Meteor Strike was estimated to be about 20 meters in diameter and weighed approximately 10,000 tons.

3. Was anyone injured or killed during the Chelyabinsk Meteor Strike?

Yes, over 1,500 people were injured due to the shock wave from the explosion, and thousands of buildings were damaged.

4. Is the Chelyabinsk Meteor Strike related to the Tunguska Event?

No, the Chelyabinsk Meteor Strike and the Tunguska Event are two separate events caused by different meteoroids. The Tunguska Event occurred in 1908 in Siberia, while the Chelyabinsk Meteor Strike happened in 2013 in Russia.

5. Could a meteor strike like the Chelyabinsk one happen again?

Yes, it is possible for a similar meteor strike to happen again in the future. Although the chances are low, Earth is constantly bombarded by small meteoroids, and it is impossible to predict when or where one may enter the atmosphere and cause a strike.