Chemical Eng: How do I get value M from 2 unknown variables.

In summary, the problem involves determining the molar mass of compound P using the root mean square speeds at two different temperatures. By squaring the equations and using the fact that T2 - T1 = 24 K, a ratio of T2:T1 can be found, which can then be used to solve for T1 and T2. Finally, the molar mass can be calculated using one of the expressions in the original equations.
Luke Attigan

Homework Statement

At T1 the root mean square speed (rms) of compound P is 485.2 m s-1 and at T2 the rms speed is 504.1 m s-1. Using this data and the fact that T2 – T1 = 24.0 °C, determine the molar mass of P in g mol-1.

Homework Equations

1. From problem statement you have: (3·R·T1/M)1/2 = 485.2 and (3·R·T2/M)1/2 = 504.1
  2. You also have that T2 - T1 = 24.0 °C ≡ 24.0 K
  3. Together, (1) and (2) form a system of 3 algebraic equations with 3 unknowns (T1, T2 and M) that can be easily solved
  4. Solve the equation system by first calculating T1 and T2
  5. Once T1 and T2 are known use one of the expression in (1) to calculate M

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the 3 equations:485.2 = (3RT1/M)^0.5

504.1 = (3RT2/M)^0.5

T2 – T1 = 24 K

I have squared these equations, (rms)^2 = 3RT/M, in order to eliminate the square root to make the equation as simple as possible, however that is all I have so far and do not understand how to calculate M with two three unknown variables T1, T2 and M. Could you please give me some assistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have ##T_2 - T_1## in the third equation, try to get a ##T_2 - T_1## from the other (squared) equations.

Luke Attigan said:

Homework Statement

At T1 the root mean square speed (rms) of compound P is 485.2 m s-1 and at T2 the rms speed is 504.1 m s-1. Using this data and the fact that T2 – T1 = 24.0 °C, determine the molar mass of P in g mol-1.

Homework Equations

1. From problem statement you have: (3·R·T1/M)1/2 = 485.2 and (3·R·T2/M)1/2 = 504.1
  2. You also have that T2 - T1 = 24.0 °C ≡ 24.0 K
  3. Together, (1) and (2) form a system of 3 algebraic equations with 3 unknowns (T1, T2 and M) that can be easily solved
  4. Solve the equation system by first calculating T1 and T2
  5. Once T1 and T2 are known use one of the expression in (1) to calculate M

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the 3 equations:485.2 = (3RT1/M)^0.5

504.1 = (3RT2/M)^0.5

T2 – T1 = 24 K

I have squared these equations, (rms)^2 = 3RT/M, in order to eliminate the square root to make the equation as simple as possible, however that is all I have so far and do not understand how to calculate M with two three unknown variables T1, T2 and M. Could you please give me some assistance?
Find the ratio of T2 : T1 by dividing the appropriate equation by the other. All of the other quantities like R and M will cancel.

Once you know the ratio of T2:T1, you can express T2 in terms of T1, and since you know the difference T2 - T1 = 24, you can solve for T1.

DrClaude said:
Since you have ##T_2 - T_1## in the third equation, try to get a ##T_2 - T_1## from the other (squared) equations.

Hi DrClaude. I don't know if I have did this correctly, but my logic is this:

I have rearranged (3RT1/M)^0.5 to become (rms)^2 = 3RT/M

What I have now done is this: (rms)^2 = 3RT2/M
T2 = [M.(rms)^2] \ 3R
__________________ =
T1 = [M.(rms)^2] \ 3R

Is this correct?

Your equation is coming out funny (not sure what the = sing in the middle is doing there). But now that you have equations for T1 and T2, you can either get T2-T1 as I suggested, or T2/T1 as SteamKing suggested.

DrClaude said:
Your equation is coming out funny (not sure what the = sing in the middle is doing there). But now that you have equations for T1 and T2, you can either get T2-T1 as I suggested, or T2/T1 as SteamKing suggested.

Hi again!

I think you both have helped me out enough now. I greatly appreciate it.

What I've did is T2 = [M.(rms)^2] \ 3R] / T1 = [M.(rms)^2] \ 3R]

(T1+24)/T1 = ratio

Solve for T1

Then use that figure to solve for T2.

I'm hoping this is correct.

I hope you both will be able to help me in the future - I'm finding some of the course very hard and quite horrible.

Luke.

1. How do I solve for value M in a chemical engineering problem with 2 unknown variables?

To solve for value M in a chemical engineering problem with 2 unknown variables, you will need to use algebraic equations and principles of stoichiometry. This involves setting up a system of equations and solving for the unknown variables using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What are the common techniques used in chemical engineering to solve for unknown variables?

Some common techniques used in chemical engineering to solve for unknown variables include dimensional analysis, material balances, and energy balances. These techniques involve using the principles of mass and energy conservation to solve for unknowns in a given system.

3. Is it possible to solve for value M without knowing the values of the other variables?

In most cases, it is not possible to solve for value M without knowing the values of the other variables. This is because chemical engineering problems typically involve multiple variables that are interdependent and cannot be solved for individually. However, there may be certain situations where it is possible to solve for value M with limited information.

4. Can computer software be used to solve for unknown variables in chemical engineering problems?

Yes, computer software can be a helpful tool in solving for unknown variables in chemical engineering problems. There are many programs and tools available that can assist with calculations, data analysis, and modeling to help solve complex problems in a more efficient and accurate manner.

5. What are some tips for solving chemical engineering problems with 2 unknown variables?

Some tips for solving chemical engineering problems with 2 unknown variables include carefully identifying and organizing all given information, using appropriate equations and principles, and double-checking your calculations and assumptions. It can also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller parts and solve for one variable at a time.