Chemical Equation Balance: NaNO3 + NaOH + Zn -> NH3 + Na2ZnO2 + H2O

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Say17
  • Start date
In summary: Nitrogen:a = dOxygen:3a = 2e +fetc ...This is called the geometric method. It is more reliable, but produces fewer solutions.
Say17
Homework Statement
NaNO3 + NaOH + Zn -> NH3 + Na2ZnO2 + H2O
Relevant Equations
NaNO3 + NaOH + Zn -> NH3 + Na2ZnO2 + H2O
Hi everyone,

I don't know where to start with NaNO3 + NaOH + Zn -> NH3 + Na2ZnO2 + H2O

How to balance it or where should I start? Any tricks?

Kind regards,
Say

Physics news on Phys.org
What methods of balancing redox reactions do you know?

Likes Bystander
Likes berkeman
I tend to think it is a process rather like finding a common denominator. Usually, you can look at the few fractions and see it.

The most rigorous way is to write every equation:

(a)NaNO3 + (b)NaOH +(c) Zn -> (d)NH3 + (e)Na2ZnO2 + (f)H2O

Then do a balance for each element, ie:
Sodium:
a + b = 2e

Nitrogen:
a = d

Oxygen:
3a = 2e +f

etc ...

As a practical matter, zero in on the fact that all the hydrogen is in (b). And Zinc tells you (c) = (e). Since there are 5 hydrogens on the left, (b) HAS to be a multiple of 5.

As a "trick", just look for those elements that are most simply connected right and left, then try just try them. If you were to try the 5,10,15 series for (b) it would go quickly.

Like in simplifying a fraction after finding a common denominator, you want the final equation in the smallest denominator. If you add 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 you can either spot they all could have 12, or use 24 as the common denominator ... 12/24 + 8/24 + 6/24 =15/24 = 26/24 =13/12

But the main trick is to spot the elements that are simply connected, and then plug those in to get the other elements.

[Mentor Note: explicit solution removed]

Generally, I am looking for the easiest integer relationships, then trying integer multiples of those ratios until I spot one. I find that trial and error approach fastest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to slip across the line. The "trick" is that trial-and-error is a valid and easy approach. It is how I always approach it. It has been too long since I learned to remember how it was taught to me.

It is somewhat like successive approximations. You want to start with an informed starting point by noticing something. But you can pretty quickly run thru some integers and see how they affect the balance of the elements left and right, then tweak it for another trial.

I think trial-and-error is sometimes overlooked by students who are trained to "solve" the problem. You are looking for a set of integers, and the relationship between them will often fall out simply by trying a few. Again, try to spot the best starting point ... but starting is more important.

I don't know if that is a "trick" or not.

votingmachine said:
The most rigorous way is to write every equation:

(a)NaNO3 + (b)NaOH +(c) Zn -> (d)NH3 + (e)Na2ZnO2 + (f)H2O

Then do a balance for each element, ie:
Sodium:
a + b = 2e
This is so called algebraic method. Yes, it is the most rigorous and general method, no, it is not failproof.

In general it produces infinitely many solutions, so requires one additional condition: all coefficients must be the smallest possible integers.

Even then it can occasionally fail, but these are extremally rare cases.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you must ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of that element on the product side. This is done by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of each molecule) until the equation is balanced.

2. What is the purpose of balancing a chemical equation?

The purpose of balancing a chemical equation is to accurately represent the reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction. It ensures that the law of conservation of mass is followed, meaning that no atoms are created or destroyed during the reaction.

3. Can you balance a chemical equation by changing the subscripts?

No, the subscripts in a chemical formula represent the number of atoms of each element in a molecule and cannot be changed. Only the coefficients can be adjusted to balance an equation.

4. What is the first step in balancing a chemical equation?

The first step in balancing a chemical equation is to write out the correct chemical formula for each reactant and product. This ensures that you have the correct number of atoms for each element to start with.

5. Is there a specific order in which the coefficients should be adjusted when balancing a chemical equation?

No, there is no specific order in which the coefficients should be adjusted. It is important to keep in mind that the coefficients must be in the lowest possible whole number ratio to accurately balance the equation.