Chemical thermodynamics, entropy, Maxwell relation and Z

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the molar density of a gas using the equation of state and the Maxwell relation. The question asks for the molar entropy change of expanding the gas from 1 dm3 to 2 dm3 at 300 K. The answer is provided as 6.74 J, obtained by substituting the LHS of the Maxwell relation and integrating. Attempted methods of solving for the molar density using densities or averaging Z values were unsuccessful.
deeko1987

Homework Statement

A gas obeys the equation of statez=1/(1-b(molar density))

What is the molar entropy change of expanding this gas from a volume of 1 dm3 to 2 dm3 at a temperature of 300 K, given b = 0.2 dm3? Calculate your answer to three significant figures and select one answer from the list below.

You may wish to use the Maxwell relation(∂p/∂t) = ∂s/∂v LHS constant V RHS constant T

Homework Equations

PV=RT maxwell realation possibly z = PV/RT[/B]

how can I solve for the molar density to solve the compressibility factor. this is an example exam question so I already know the answer is 6.74 J

The Attempt at a Solution

I have substituted the LHS of the maxwell relationship for R/T (not sure if this is a correct assuption) then intergrated to get Rln(V2/V1)= change in entropy

this gives me 5.76 I'm assuming that this then needs multiplying by Z to get the correct answer of 6.74.

I have attempted to solve for z using the 1/volume to get molar density using both densities which give the incorrect answer. I have then tried to average the Z of both (Z1+Z2)/2 which again was a long shot, it was close but I'm assuming that is not the way its done because it seems very inaccurate to use an average for compressibility.
[/B]

Again this is not a coursework it is a multiple choice practice exam question, that gives the solution, just no feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Related to Chemical thermodynamics, entropy, Maxwell relation and Z

1. What is chemical thermodynamics?

Chemical thermodynamics is the study of how energy is involved in chemical reactions and processes. It focuses on the relationships between heat, work, and other forms of energy in chemical systems.

2. What is entropy in chemical thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In chemical thermodynamics, it is used to describe the distribution of energy within a system and how it changes during a chemical reaction.

3. What is the Maxwell relation in chemical thermodynamics?

The Maxwell relation is a mathematical relationship between the partial derivatives of thermodynamic properties, such as temperature, pressure, and volume. It is used to determine how these properties are related to each other in a system.

4. How is entropy related to the Maxwell relation in chemical thermodynamics?

Entropy is related to the Maxwell relation because it is one of the thermodynamic properties that can be described using this mathematical relationship. By using the Maxwell relation, we can determine how the entropy of a system changes with respect to other properties, such as temperature or pressure.

5. What is the significance of Z in chemical thermodynamics?

Z, also known as the compressibility factor, is a dimensionless quantity that is used to describe the behavior of gases and their deviation from ideal gas behavior. In chemical thermodynamics, it is an important factor in determining the thermodynamic properties of gases and their behavior in different conditions.