Chemical treatment of silicon carbide

In summary, the person modified an employer's patented device, and it resembled clear grains of silicon dioxide. There is no information about what the process was, or how the person modified it. The person thinks the crystal clear grains might be pure silicon dioxide, but they were not analyzed. The thread may be abandoned if the patent number or a description of the process and the modification that was employed cannot be obtained.
Recycler
I modified an employer's patented device,in order to treat bulk silicon carbide grit.It became crystal clear resembling clear silica grainsThe resultant was not analyzed.This was a low-temperature process.Is there any potential application for this type of process?

Engineering news on Phys.org
We do not know what the process was, or how you modified that process.
The patent number would help identify the process, especially if there is a US patent number.
What do you think the crystal clear grains might be, why ?

Baluncore said:
We do not know what the process was, or how you modified that process.
The patent number would help identify the process, especially if there is a US patent number.
What do you think the crystal clear grains might be, why ?
I thought the clear grains were probably pure silicon dioxide,but they were not analyzed.I must step lightly here,because although my employers did not want the discovery at the time,it probably still belongs to them.I was curious if this result could be used to lay down very thin layers of material by transforming a thin layer of SiC.If it might be useful,I could contact the patent holders.Ethically,I don't know how much more I could disclose.The discovery was 40 years ago,but now I see many people working on hybrid thin layer materials.My discovery was definitely supported by another man's basic work.

Your process must have gotten rid of the carbon somehow if the result was SiO2. If the original was 40 years old, wouldn't it be in public domain by now?

This thread will go nowhere unless we can get the patent number, or a description of the process and the modification that was employed.

A patent is published from the day it is granted, which is why I asked for the patent number. There is no advantage in keeping the number and date of grant secret. A significant modification might in itself have been an independent invention, but I expect any simple modification will have been published somewhere in the last 50 years so will not be novel, and so cannot be patented now.

I have an undocumented optical instrument here. I followed a patent number back to the 1951 registration in the USA and so now have a very good set of diagrams, with a clear explanation of how everything works and is connected. There are even some interesting extended features disclosed in the patent that are not included in this instrument.

Let's see that patent number, or we may as well abandon this thread.

1. What is silicon carbide and why is it used in chemical treatment?

Silicon carbide is a compound composed of silicon and carbon atoms in a 1:1 ratio. It is used in chemical treatment because of its unique properties such as high hardness, thermal stability, and chemical inertness.

2. What are the common methods of chemical treatment for silicon carbide?

The common methods of chemical treatment for silicon carbide include etching, oxidation, and chemical vapor deposition. Etching involves the use of chemicals to remove some layers of the silicon carbide surface, while oxidation creates a protective layer on the surface. Chemical vapor deposition, on the other hand, is used to deposit a thin layer of another material on the surface of silicon carbide.

3. What are the benefits of chemical treatment for silicon carbide?

The benefits of chemical treatment for silicon carbide include improved surface quality, increased resistance to corrosion and wear, and enhanced electronic properties. Chemical treatment can also be used to tailor the properties of silicon carbide for specific applications.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of chemical treatment for silicon carbide?

One potential drawback of chemical treatment for silicon carbide is the possibility of introducing impurities or defects during the process, which can affect the material's properties. Chemical treatment can also be a costly and time-consuming process, depending on the method used.

5. What industries or applications commonly use chemically treated silicon carbide?

Chemically treated silicon carbide is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, electronics, and semiconductor manufacturing. It is also used in various applications such as cutting tools, abrasives, and high-temperature materials.