Chemistry Moles, Molecular Weight

What is the mass in grams of one mole of Ca2+?In summary, the conversation is about an experiment involving the compound CaC2O4*H2O. The weight of the compound was found to be 31.4966 subtracted by the weight of a crucible. The molecular weight was calculated to be 146.112 and the moles of CaC2O4*H2O were determined to be 1.6 x 10^-3. The question now is how to calculate the moles and concentration of Ca2+. The suggested calculation for the moles is 0.2742 times 146.112, but the person is unsure. They are also unsure about how to calculate the
Dooga Blackrazor

Homework Statement

I did an experiment and found the weight of CaC(2)O(4)H(2)0 to be 31.4966 subtracted by the weight of a crucible which is 31.2612.

I put this for my weight of CaC204H20 (as I can't think of any other weight that it would be requested). I followed the next question calculating molecular weight. 146.112. After that I calculated the moles of CaC204H20 to be 1.6 x 10^-3 (not sure on this).

I now need the moles of Ca(2+ charge). There are 27.42% Ca(2+) mass percentage of it.

I don't know what to do from there. Same goes for the concentration of Ca(2+)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I had to guess, I would say the moles of Ca2+ are 0.2742 times 146.112, but I am not sure.

Concentration, I have no clue. I have been looking through my online notes on this for hours now. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation of the moles of CaC2O4*H2O is correct. According to the formula of the compound, how many moles of Ca2+ does one mole of the compound contain?

I can provide some guidance and suggestions for your experiment and calculations.

First, it is important to clearly state your objective and hypothesis for the experiment. What were you trying to determine or measure? This will help guide your calculations and make sure they are relevant to your experiment.

Next, it is important to accurately record and report your data. In this case, it seems like you have found the weight of CaC2O4H2O and the weight of the crucible. It would be helpful to include the units for these measurements (grams, milligrams, etc.) to ensure accuracy.

To calculate the molecular weight of CaC2O4H2O, you can use the formula weight = mass/ moles. You have already calculated the mass and have an estimate for the moles (1.6 x 10^-3). Make sure to use the correct units for mass and moles (grams and moles, respectively) in order to get the correct answer for molecular weight.

To determine the moles of Ca2+, you can use the mole ratio of Ca2+ to CaC2O4H2O. From the given information, it seems like there is a 27.42% mass percentage of Ca2+ in CaC2O4H2O. This means that for every 100 grams of CaC2O4H2O, there is 27.42 grams of Ca2+. Using this ratio, you can calculate the moles of Ca2+ in your sample.

For concentration, you can use the formula concentration = moles/ volume. It is important to know the volume of your sample in order to accurately calculate the concentration. Also, make sure to use the correct units for moles and volume (moles and liters, respectively) in order to get the correct units for concentration (moles per liter).

I hope this helps guide you in your calculations. Remember to always double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations. Good luck!

Related to Chemistry Moles, Molecular Weight

1. What is a mole in chemistry?

A mole is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to represent an amount of a substance. It is defined as the amount of a substance that contains the same number of particles (atoms, molecules, ions) as there are atoms in exactly 12 grams of carbon-12.

2. How is the mass of a mole determined?

The mass of a mole is determined by multiplying the number of moles by the molar mass of the substance. The molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance and is calculated by adding the atomic weights of all the atoms in a molecule.

3. What is the difference between a mole and a molecular weight?

A mole is a unit of measurement for the amount of a substance, while molecular weight is the mass of one mole of a substance. Molecular weight is measured in grams per mole and is used to determine the mass of a particular molecule.

4. How do you calculate the molecular weight of a compound?

The molecular weight of a compound is calculated by adding the atomic weights of all the atoms in the compound. To do this, you first need to determine the molecular formula of the compound, which tells you the number of each type of atom present. Then, you can use the periodic table to find the atomic weights and add them together to get the molecular weight.

5. Why is it important to know the molecular weight of a compound?

Knowing the molecular weight of a compound is important because it allows us to determine the amount of a substance needed for a chemical reaction. It also helps us to calculate the concentrations of solutions and to predict the physical and chemical properties of a substance. Additionally, the molecular weight can be used to identify unknown substances and to compare different compounds.