[Chemistry] What advanced elective should I take?

In summary, the speaker is a chemistry major who needs to take an advanced elective, but is unsure which courses will be offered. They are hoping for inorganic chemistry 2, but are worried about having to take advanced organic chemistry, which is their weakest subject. They plan to take an advanced synthesis laboratory course and are considering talking to professors to see what will be taught. They also mention completing the physical chemistry sequence before taking any advanced electives. The conversation takes place at the University at Albany, which is part of the SUNY system.
Geo_Zegarra2018
As a chemistry major I have to take one advance elective. Unfortunately it’s very difficult to tell which courses will be offered in that semester. I’m hoping inorganic chemistry 2 is offered. Because the last couple of semesters it seems advance organic chemistry was offered.

The problem with organic chemistry is ther is my biggest weakness of the field. I don’t want to take it. But at the other side of my heart it wants me to take it. I recently passed organic chemistry 2 with C-. The first test wasn’t my best, but I gotten better as the course progressed. I also have to take an advance laboratory requirement course. Since I’m better at the lab portion of organic chemistry I’ll be taking Advanced Synthesis Laboratory.

My biggest worried will be what if my last option is to take advance organic chemistry if inorganic chemistry 2 isn’t offered.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not talk with profs in the department to see what will be taught? and then decide based on that.

Likes jasonRF
School? Large department? Small? Young faculty? Old?

University at Albany

self study the orgo during the summer...

I won't be taking any advance elective until I complete the physical chemistry sequence. That will be Spring 2020. I will be taking PCHEM in Fall 2019

Almost all electives require PCHEM

Yes. I believe if you search on google is the only SUNY Albany

1. What are the options for advanced electives in chemistry?

There are typically a variety of advanced elective courses offered in chemistry, including biochemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and inorganic chemistry. Other options may include courses in environmental chemistry, medicinal chemistry, or materials chemistry.

2. How do I decide which advanced elective to take?

When choosing an advanced elective in chemistry, it is important to consider your interests and career goals. If you are interested in pursuing a career in medicine, for example, you may want to take courses in biochemistry or medicinal chemistry. If you are interested in a career in research, you may want to take courses in organic or physical chemistry.

3. Are there any prerequisites for advanced electives in chemistry?

It is common for advanced electives in chemistry to have prerequisites, such as introductory chemistry courses or specific math courses. It is important to check with your academic advisor to make sure you have completed any necessary prerequisites before enrolling in an advanced elective.

4. What are the benefits of taking an advanced elective in chemistry?

Taking an advanced elective in chemistry can help you deepen your understanding of a specific area of chemistry and develop specialized skills that may be useful in your future career. It can also demonstrate your ability to handle challenging coursework, which can be beneficial for graduate school or job applications.

5. Can I take more than one advanced elective in chemistry?

Yes, it is possible to take multiple advanced electives in chemistry. However, it is important to carefully consider your workload and make sure you have enough time and energy to successfully complete all of your courses. It may also be helpful to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that your course load is manageable.