Chess Frustrations? Get PhysicsForums Help!

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chess
In summary, the conversation revolved around a member expressing disappointment about not having chess available on the forum anymore. Another member reassured them that chess was still available under a different section and had been gaining popularity. The original member joked about being a bad chess player and mentioned a previous experience in a chess club. They then challenged another member to a game, but mentioned having difficulties playing on their phone.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
*whimper*

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
what what? :D

I took it to mean he's bad at chess.

I was whining about not having chess here anymore. In a self-deprecating way though, so that it wouldn't be taken too seriously.

We have chess, Pythagorean. It has recently made a resurgence, with lots of new matches springing up.

Pythagorean said:
I was whining about not having chess here anymore. In a self-deprecating way though, so that it wouldn't be taken too seriously.

It got moved to under Fun, Photos & Games:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=198

Last edited by a moderator:
omg omg omg

Pythagorean said:
omg omg omg

Pythagorean is happy :smile:...or maybe it's just sleep deprivation, from being a new daddy.

Well, given the evidence of my observation skills, now no one will probably want to play such an easy opponent.

Pythagorean said:
Well, given the evidence of my observation skills, now no one will probably want to play such an easy opponent.

I've won maybe 3 out of 30 games I've played in my life :(

i challenge you!

:/ I get errors trying to play from my iphone though.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I've won maybe 3 our of 30 games I've played in my life :(
I joined a chess club when I went back to college for a semester after getting married. In that semester, I played in a few tournaments and got my rating up over 1450, and was feeling (perhaps) adequate to give my friend's brother a challenge. He crushed me over and over. :-( It didn't matter which offense or defense I threw at him (even odd defenses like the Pirc) - he always had an answer.

Related to Chess Frustrations? Get PhysicsForums Help!

1. Why do I keep losing at chess?

There could be a variety of reasons for losing at chess. One possibility is that your opponent simply has more experience or knowledge of the game. Another factor could be that you are making mistakes or overlooking certain moves. It is also important to consider your strategy and whether it is effective against your opponent's style of play.

2. How can I improve my chess skills?

Improving at chess takes practice and dedication. Some ways to improve include studying openings and endgames, analyzing your own games, and playing against more experienced players. Additionally, practicing tactics and puzzles can help improve your overall chess knowledge and decision-making abilities.

3. Why is chess frustrating at times?

Chess can be a frustrating game because it requires a lot of mental focus and concentration. It can also be frustrating when your opponent makes a move that you did not anticipate or when you make a mistake that leads to a loss. Additionally, the complexity of the game can make it difficult to master, leading to feelings of frustration.

4. How can I deal with frustration while playing chess?

One way to deal with frustration while playing chess is to take breaks during long games or tournaments. This allows you to clear your mind and refocus. It can also be helpful to remind yourself that losing is a natural part of the learning process and that every game is an opportunity to improve.

5. Where can I find resources for help with chess frustrations?

There are many resources available for help with chess frustrations. You can seek advice from more experienced players, join a chess club or online community, or read books and articles on improving your game. Additionally, there are chess coaches and online tutorials that can provide personalized guidance and tips for dealing with chess frustrations.