Chinese New Year Celebrations: Ideas & Traditions

• Thread starter doglover9754
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Years
In summary: They also mentioned that the lion dance is used to bring good luck in the new year.In summary, some people are hoping for a gift from the god of wealth, others are just enjoying the festivities.
doglover9754
Gold Member
Hello! So I’m not totally sure if this is where I post this but what do you do for Chinese New Year? I usually march in the town parade but it got canceled this year so instead I went to Ala Moana to go eat some good food with my family. I saw a lion dance. So, what do you guys do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some of us hope for Hung Bao and dream of what we might use our lucky money for.

Gung hsi fa dzai, hung bao na lai.

Likes doglover9754
That’s the lion dance. I didn’t get to post it earlier because I didn’t have WiFi. Heh heh.

Attachments

• 7FFB760A-6AA8-4222-A7C5-1813AECFA522.jpeg
    7FFB760A-6AA8-4222-A7C5-1813AECFA522.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 479
Likes ISamson and jedishrfu
I got to learn the dragon dance. Our sifu made everything of the dragon, the head, body and tail of bamboo and cloth. I was part of the body section. You had to follow the person front with a slight delay. He would wave to the fight so I would too and then the person behind would follow me. The dragon head would follow the pearl and would even loop under its own body as part of the dance. It was awesome to see and be a part of.

Likes doglover9754
jedishrfu said:
I got to learn the dragon dance. Our sifu made everything of the dragon, the head, body and tail of bamboo and cloth. I was part of the body section. You had to follow the person front with a slight delay. He would wave to the fight so I would too and then the person behind would follow me. The dragon head would follow the pearl and would even loop under its own body as part of the dance. It was awesome to see and be a part of.
My “uncle” taught me how to dance it when I was 5. He’s technically my neighbor who helped marry my parents so I call him my uncle, but long story short, it’s complicated :P

Likes jedishrfu
doglover9754 said:
My “uncle” taught me how to dance it when I was 5. He’s technically my neighbor who helped marry my parents so I call him my uncle, but long story short, it’s complicated :P

I understand the custom. The younger generation calls the older generation aunts and uncles when they are friends of your parents.

Likes doglover9754
Did they mention the historical aspect of the Dragon dance. It was once used to smuggle rebels into the city. The pearl was a bomb and the within the dragon body were swords (chien) and sabers (dao). I don't have a definitive reference. It was told to us by our sifu who taught shaolin martial arts in the 1980's in NYC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_dance

I was born in the year of the Water Dragon.

And for other readers of this thread lion vs dragon:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/chinese-lion-dance-or-dragon-dance-1458310

Likes doglover9754
jedishrfu said:
Did they mention the historical aspect of the Dragon dance. It was once used to smuggle rebels into the city. The pearl was a bomb and the within the dragon body were swords (chien) and sabers (dao). I don't have a definitive reference. It was told to us by our sifu who taught shaolin martial arts in the 1980's in NYC.
I’ve heard about it... I don’t totally remember it. I haven’t danced for about 7 years.

jedishrfu said:
I understand the custom. The younger generation calls the older generation aunts and uncles when they are friends of your parents.
Yep

What is Chinese New Year and when is it celebrated?

Chinese New Year, also known as the Spring Festival, is a traditional Chinese holiday that marks the beginning of a new lunar year. It is typically celebrated for 15 days, starting from the first day of the first lunar month, which falls between late January and mid-February.

What are some common traditions and decorations during Chinese New Year?

Some common traditions and decorations during Chinese New Year include hanging red lanterns, giving red envelopes filled with money, cleaning the house to sweep away bad luck, and displaying paper cutouts of the zodiac animal of the year. Red is the dominant color as it symbolizes good luck and prosperity.

What are some traditional foods eaten during Chinese New Year?

There are many traditional foods eaten during Chinese New Year, but some popular ones include dumplings, noodles, fish, and various sweet treats like rice cakes and sticky rice balls. These foods often have symbolic meanings, such as good luck, prosperity, and longevity.

How is the Chinese zodiac related to Chinese New Year?

The Chinese zodiac is a 12-year cycle of animal signs used to represent years in the lunar calendar. Each year is represented by a different animal, and it is believed that people born in a certain year will possess the characteristics of that animal. Chinese New Year is often referred to as the Spring Festival, but it is also known as the "Year of the [zodiac animal]."

What are some ways to celebrate Chinese New Year?

Some ways to celebrate Chinese New Year include attending parades and festivals, watching traditional performances, lighting firecrackers, and participating in family gatherings and feasts. It is also a time for people to make wishes for the new year, honor ancestors, and pay respect to deities. Many people also wear new clothes and give gifts to loved ones.