Incorrect Dress on Kartini's Day

• Thread starter bagasme
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker recalls a time when they were incorrectly dressed on Kartini's Day, a traditional Indonesian holiday. Despite bringing their usual school outfit, they were not informed about the dress code beforehand and felt out of place among classmates and teachers who wore ethnic outfits. They also felt bored at the event and wished they could have gone home, but didn't leave until noon. A year later, they followed their mother's suggestion to wear a white shirt, black pants, and sarung as an ethnic outfit, even though they didn't feel it was truly ethnic. However, due to rain, the fashion show contest was relocated indoors and the speaker did not participate in any contests. Overall
bagasme
I had a story when I was incorrectly dressed on Kartini's Day event.

In late April 2017, when I was at grade 10 of high school, I wore my usual school outfit (white shirt and gray long pants). I also brought scheduled textbooks and notebooks in my bag.

At 7:30, I went downstairs and had a ceremony to commemorate Kartini's Day. I saw almost all students (including my classmates) and teachers wore different outfits instead: ethnic outfits (including kebaya). I thought I wasn't be informed about the dress code before this event.

After the ceremony, I watched competitions and contests, from fashion show to make up and cooking contests. I didn't involved in any those games, either, so I felt bored and wanted to go home instead. But I went home after 12:00 noon, unfortunately.

At home, I told to my mom that I should have worn the dress code (ethnic outfit), which then she replied that if the dress code had been informed and notified before, I could hire one for the event.

A year later (2018), I wore white shirt; black long pants; a scarf; and sarung, as suggested by my mom as ethnic outfit. I thought the outfit wasn't really ethnic outfit either, but I wore it anyway. The fashion show contest was relocated to inside two class rooms because of the rain. I didn't join any contests, too.

What do you think about the story above?

Cheers, Bagas.

Physics news on Phys.org
bagasme said:
What do you think about the story above?
I dislike the concept of "dress code" in general

• Skeptical
Likes bagasme

1. Why is it important to wear the correct dress on Kartini's Day?

Wearing the correct dress on Kartini's Day is important because it is a way to honor and pay tribute to Raden Ajeng Kartini, a national hero in Indonesia who fought for women's rights. It also helps to preserve and promote Indonesian culture and traditions.

2. What is the correct dress to wear on Kartini's Day?

The correct dress to wear on Kartini's Day is a traditional Javanese outfit called the kebaya. It consists of a loose-fitting blouse with a front opening, paired with a batik sarong or skirt. Sometimes, a headscarf or shawl is also worn to complete the look.

3. Can men also participate in Kartini's Day by wearing traditional dress?

While Kartini's Day is primarily celebrated by women, men can also participate by wearing traditional Javanese attire such as the batik shirt or sarong. This is a way to show support for the celebration and also to honor the cultural significance of the day.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for wearing the correct dress on Kartini's Day?

There are no strict rules or guidelines for wearing the correct dress on Kartini's Day, but it is important to dress modestly and respectfully. Additionally, it is recommended to wear traditional fabrics and avoid modern or western-style clothing on this day.

5. Can I wear a kebaya on any other occasion besides Kartini's Day?

Yes, you can wear a kebaya on other occasions, such as weddings, traditional ceremonies, or cultural events. It is a versatile outfit that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. However, it is important to be mindful and respectful of the cultural significance of the kebaya when wearing it.