Chloramine from water preventing health recovery, how to help myself?

In summary, the individual has a chronic illness and has discovered that tap water exacerbates their symptoms. They have switched to drinking bottled water, but still experience symptoms after showering or cleaning with products containing chlorine. They are seeking advice on how to avoid chlorine exposure and suggestions for living a chemical-free lifestyle. It is recommended to consult a doctor for personalized medical advice and to consider using filtered or well water as alternatives.
Chlorinated
Hi All

I have a chronic illness and have realized that drinking tap water flares up my symptoms. When I have bottled spring or chloromine/chlorine free water it doesn't happen. I know you will say see a doctor, my doctors only response was 'I can't change your water supply' and its a practical problem which I have to solve.

Now I am drinking bottled water so that's the drinking solved. However after a shower or if i am cleaning e.g. using flash(contains chlorine) to clean surfaces my symptoms flare up. I am guessing i am inhaleing or rubbing chlorine into my body. You may suggest tp get water filters but there are apparently none which remove chloromine properly although they claim to .

Anyway please kindly answer the following so i can make changes in my lifestyle to avoid chlorine/chloromine as much as possible.

1)When I use flash spray for cleaning i can smell it heavily. How on Earth does it get into my body if it doesn't give off vapours and i havn't touched it, just smelt it?
2)If you take a cold shower does water vapour form? will enough form to be inhaled or breathed into the body?
3)If you inhale or breath water vapour does it travel to the stomach ib both cases or one, if one which is it nose or mouth?
4)If you rinse your head in cold water for 2 minutes will enough vapour form that it will go into the body?
4)If you shower in a small bathroom with windows for 20 mins, after you finish how long before the vapour disappears? i.e. when is it safe to enter after someone has used it if i want to avoid vapours
5)Does the body absorb chlorine when in a shower via the skin, will it go to the inner or outer layers of the stomach?

If I can get away from chlorine/chloraminated water for a couple of months i reckon my illness will start to heal. Any other ideas on what i might do. Showering in bottle water is impractical and i thought of going to another country where they use natural water for drink etc but i don't know where to go. Somewhere that cheap and i can live a clean natural chemical free life?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
1. Water evaporates, so you'll always be breathing some water vapor when you're around water (even if you're not, there is always water vapor in the air).
2. Anything you can smell is obviously in the air.
3. We don't give medical diagnosis here, so we can't comment on whether you have any reason to be concerned about the level of chlorine in your water. Consult your doctor.

Locked.

Chlorinated said:
If I can get away from chlorine/chloraminated water for a couple of months i reckon my illness will start to heal. Any other ideas on what i might do. Showering in bottle water is impractical and i thought of going to another country where they use natural water for drink etc but i don't know where to go. Somewhere that cheap and i can live a clean natural chemical free life?

Thanks
One may have developed a chemical sensitivity to chlorine or chloramine. Unfortunately, most municipal water supplies are chlorinated to mitigate coliform and other bacteria. Filtering with activated charcoal should help, but might not be 100%.

Basically one would need to have a private well, which is typical in rural areas.

As previously mentioned, we cannot provide a diagnosis or prognosis. One must discuss one's health care with a doctor.

1. What is chloramine and how does it affect health recovery?

Chloramine is a disinfectant commonly used in water treatment to eliminate harmful bacteria and viruses. However, it can also have negative effects on health, especially for individuals with weakened immune systems or respiratory issues. When consumed or inhaled, chloramine can cause irritation in the eyes, nose, throat, and lungs, making it difficult for the body to recover from illness.

2. How can I tell if my water contains chloramine?

Chloramine is often added to public water supplies, so it is important to contact your local water utility to find out if it is present in your tap water. You can also purchase home water testing kits to check for chloramine levels. If you notice a strong chemical smell or taste in your water, it may contain chloramine.

3. Can chloramine be removed from water?

Yes, there are several methods for removing chloramine from water. These include using a reverse osmosis filter, activated carbon filter, or a combination of both. Boiling water does not effectively remove chloramine, and may actually increase its concentration.

4. How can I protect myself from the negative effects of chloramine?

If you are concerned about chloramine in your water, there are several steps you can take to protect yourself. First, consider investing in a water filter specifically designed to remove chloramine. You can also let your tap water sit in an open container for a few hours to allow the chloramine to dissipate. Additionally, using a shower filter can help reduce your exposure to chloramine when bathing.

5. Are there any health risks associated with long-term exposure to chloramine?

While short-term exposure to high levels of chloramine may cause irritation and discomfort, there is limited research on the potential health risks of long-term exposure. However, some studies have suggested a possible link between chloramine and certain health conditions, such as bladder and kidney cancer. It is always best to limit your exposure to potentially harmful chemicals as much as possible.