Choosing a Career Path: Mathematician or Physicist in a Developing Country?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether to pursue a career in mathematics or physics. The participants mention the potential job opportunities and the skills needed for both fields. They also mention the importance of enjoying the work and considering personal interests. One participant suggests considering an Engineering degree as it may have more job opportunities in developing countries and still involve studying mathematics and physics.
AlexES16
mathematician or physicist??

Well i really love both, but living in a 3rd wolrd country, looks like mathematician have more fields to work, and i readed an article that say that mathematic degree help you a lot(finance to computers), What you say guys?? I don't want to be millionare or have a ferrari, but i would like to have a decent living and have time to family, hobbies etc. i have 8 months to decide.

Physics news on Phys.org

Pretty much any non-academic job that wants a mathematician will take a physicist.

correction: Pretty much any non-academic job that wants a physicist will take a mathematician.

Go with math, you will have many more doors opened for you this way.

either way; what they utilize from both fields is essentially their problem solving skills

mgb_phys said:
Pretty much any non-academic job that wants a mathematician will take a physicist.

98whbf said:
correction: Pretty much any non-academic job that wants a physicist will take a mathematician.

Go with math, you will have many more doors opened for you this way.

I would think that mgb_phys is a bit more accurate. If you think about it, non-academia mathematics will probably consist of math that isn't totally specialized for the realm of academia and higher mathematics.. thus, a physicist will probably know this math as much as a mathematician might.

On the other hand, physics concepts can be very specific to the field of physics - a mathematician (or person studying mathematics) not knowing concepts in physics is not a rare thing at all. But as I said before, people doing physics are knowledgeable in mathematics as much as they are in physics (to a certain extent, and that extent could be the same extent utilized in the non-academic industry)

Tough question. The way I look at it is that mathematics straddles physics and computers. There is a three-way love affair here. It is true that a mathematician can do both, but the questions is to what extent? First question that I find easier to ask is: calculus? or algebra?

As we both know, the mathematics involved in physics is primarily calculus based (aside from the higher-end physics, ie tensors, quantum notations, etc). Computer science favours algebra.

This is a generalization, please keep this in mind. Any good physicist knows that you need to know both to be successful. In this regards, you can see that mathematics will open more doors for you. Keep in mind though that it's not all about money. You have eluded to the fact that you'd like to enjoy other things like family and hobbies. You also need to enjoy doing something.

Personally I would say mathematics, but you have to consider what branch you'd like to get into. Math is as specialized as physics as well. Personally I have a mathematics degree but I just can't get involved in statistics or finance, I'd have to shoot myself (figuratively speaking).

If I were you, I would consider an Engineering degree; in developing countries, they open a lot more doors and you still have the opportunity of studying mathematics and physics.

Related to Choosing a Career Path: Mathematician or Physicist in a Developing Country?

1. What is the difference between a mathematician and a physicist?

A mathematician primarily focuses on studying and developing theories, concepts, and principles related to numbers, quantity, and space. On the other hand, a physicist primarily uses mathematical principles and theories to understand and explain the physical world.

2. Can someone be both a mathematician and a physicist?

Yes, it is possible for someone to have knowledge and expertise in both mathematics and physics. Many scientists have backgrounds in both fields and use principles from both disciplines in their research.

3. Which field has more job opportunities, mathematics or physics?

Both fields offer a wide range of job opportunities in various industries such as academia, research, finance, and technology. The demand for mathematicians and physicists is also expected to grow in the coming years.

4. Are mathematicians and physicists considered to be in the same field?

While both fields use mathematical principles, they have different focuses and approaches. Mathematicians often work on abstract concepts and theoretical frameworks, while physicists apply mathematical concepts to understand and explain physical phenomena.

5. What skills are required to be a successful mathematician or physicist?

To be successful in either field, one needs to have strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. It is also important to have a solid foundation in mathematics and a deep curiosity and passion for exploring the world through scientific inquiry.