Choosing a Flexible hose for outlet air pressure vessel

In summary, the conversation discusses considerations for choosing a proper hose for industrial purposes, including the maximum working pressure and type of fluid being used. It also mentions the abbreviation "inst" which likely stands for instrument air, a type of compressed air used in industrial applications. The speaker also suggests checking local laws and safety regulations for maximum pressure limits.
guideonl
TL;DR Summary
Flexable hose choosing for outlet air pressure vessel
Hi everyone,

What should be the considerations to choose the proper hose (max working press) installed at outlet air pressure vessels (11 bar) for industrial purposes? Please remark source\link.
Also, I've found a table which lists the max sys operating press for 4 different fluids (fuel, oil, hyd/pneu, inst air). What is the abrreviation inst mean?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ask/look for standard air hose. The standard rubber air hose in a local hardware store is specified for 300 PSI (20 bar) working pressure.

Inst air is probably instrument air. Instrument air is compressed air that has been dried (moisture removed) and does not have oil added.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, dlgoff and berkeman
Right, instrument air is used in industrial applications (eg, chemical plants, power plants, etc). The IA can be used to operate valves, and various control devices.

guideonl said:
... I've found a table which lists the max sys operating press for 4 different fluids (fuel, oil, hyd/pneu, inst air). What is the abrreviation inst mean?
This must be some kind of generic table listing "typical" values. The plants I worked in had instrument air at around 100 psig (6.9 barg). I do not recall the system design pressure (for the piping, etc.) probably twice or three times that. Many of the air-operated instruments run at much lower pressure. Pneumatic signals are typically 3-15 psi for 4 - 20 ma signals.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
jrmichler said:
Ask/look for standard air hose. The standard rubber air hose in a local hardware store is specified for 300 PSI (20 bar) working pressure.

Inst air is probably instrument air. Instrument air is compressed air that has been dried (moisture removed) and does not have oil added.
Thank you jrmichler

If this is for general use in areas like assembly lines for electronic equipment, pay attention to the local laws & safety regulations.

Here in California (and maybe Federal) there is a maximum pressure you must not exceed. I don't recall the exact number but believe it is around 30-50PSI (2-3bar).

We would put a pressure regulator at the head of each assembly line, but put one connector for "Supervisor Use Only" at the head end before the regulator to get the 100PSI (7bar) line pressure. That one got a lot of use!

Of course if you are powering tools or equipment you use whatever is needed.

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a flexible hose for an outlet air pressure vessel?

When choosing a flexible hose for an outlet air pressure vessel, there are several factors to consider. These include the operating pressure and temperature, the type of fluid being transported, the size and length of the hose, and the compatibility of the hose material with the fluid.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size and length of the flexible hose?

The size and length of the flexible hose should be chosen based on the flow rate and pressure of the air being transported. It is important to ensure that the hose is not too long, as this can cause pressure drop and decrease efficiency. It is also important to consider any bends or turns in the hose, as these can also affect the flow rate and pressure.

3. What materials are commonly used for flexible hoses in pressure vessels?

The most commonly used materials for flexible hoses in pressure vessels are rubber, PVC, and stainless steel. Rubber hoses are suitable for most general applications, while PVC hoses are more resistant to chemicals and abrasion. Stainless steel hoses are typically used for high-pressure and high-temperature applications.

4. How do I ensure the compatibility of the hose material with the fluid being transported?

It is important to consult with the manufacturer or supplier of the hose to ensure that the material is compatible with the fluid being transported. Some fluids may be corrosive or reactive with certain materials, so it is important to choose a hose that is specifically designed for the type of fluid being used.

5. What maintenance is required for flexible hoses in pressure vessels?

Regular maintenance is important for flexible hoses in pressure vessels to ensure their longevity and safe operation. This includes regular inspections for wear and tear, replacing any damaged hoses, and ensuring proper storage and handling to prevent kinks and bends that can affect the performance of the hose.