Choosing a podcasting platform

• Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Platform
In summary: Those platforms typically don't have their own dedicated podcast apps.If you're not in any of the below, I think it'll be difficult for people to find and listen to your podcast.iOS: Podcast app (so post your stuff on iTunes for the search to work)Android: Google PlaymacOS: iTunesFor other OS or devices (e.g. game consoles, smart TV/sticks), I have no idea. Those platforms typically don't have their own dedicated podcast apps.
dkotschessaa
I have volunteered to help an organization get their audio, which they already post to a website, into a podcast format. I'm a huge podcast addict (subscribe to over 100, sadly), but I don't know much about starting from the other end.

I know there is itunes, soundcloud, libsyn, podbean, and a few others. I am a least fan of itunes and soundcloud as they tend to put obstacles towards using other podcast apps.

I know some people perhaps do more than one - usually itunes + something else.

The audio already exists - I just need to get it into a feed. I imagine there is some sort of fee involved for hosting. Advice appreciated.

-Dave K

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Computer science news on Phys.org
As a user I enjoy casts that use libsyn. How much data space do you need? I would stay away from SoundCloud because they have financial issues atm.

Greg Bernhardt said:
As a user I enjoy casts that use libsyn. How much data space do you need? I would stay away from SoundCloud because they have financial issues atm.

I'm starting to like libsyn as well. Seems the most straightforward.

As for space, well, let's see. At an initial glance - the files seem to be between 50 and 100 MB each, which seems about standard for a podcast.

The podcasts are already available on a website, so would I need to just have the rss link to the site, or is it better to have them host the files as well to avoid taxing the existing server?

If we have them host the files, then I suppose it's a matter of how many episodes to keep in the feed, correct?

-Dave K

hmm.. If the files are already posted regularly and hosted on a website, isn't it just a matter of having the rss feed posted?

dkotschessaa said:
hmm.. If the files are already posted regularly and hosted on a website, isn't it just a matter of having the rss feed posted?
In general, "podcasting" is just a means of syndication. If an RSS feed is a good enough syndication model, then simply generate a normal RSS feed and maybe use something like FeedBurner for people to subscribe easier. I guess then the question is how do people play the files? Podcast services usually have convenient plug n play scripts for the user to play the audio file in their browser.

Greg Bernhardt said:
In general, "podcasting" is just a means of syndication. If an RSS feed is a good enough syndication model, then simply generate a normal RSS feed and maybe use something like FeedBurner for people to subscribe easier. I guess then the question is how do people play the files? Podcast services usually have convenient plug n play scripts for the user to play the audio file in their browser.

Would a podcast app like Podcast Addict or Itunes not suffice? I think Itunes can play stuff outside of the apple store, if I'm not mistaken. My podcast app, if I give it an RSS feed, will download the files and play them.

Of course I also don't want it to be difficult for potential users either.

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:
I think Itunes can play stuff outside of the apple store, if I'm not mistaken.
Sure. Everything I listen to in iTunes is stuff that I've ripped from my CD collection or downloaded from non-Apple sources.

Likes dkotschessaa
I figure most people will listen to podcasts using the default app they have installed on their device. That's what I do. I'm not sure what accepts RSS feeds (at least I have no idea how to add one for Google Play to use). I've listen to podcast RSS links posted on the Patreon and seems like the Patreon app itself plays the audio in Android.

If you're not in any of the below, I think it'll be difficult for people to find and listen to your podcast.

iOS: Podcast app (so post your stuff on iTunes for the search to work)
Android: Google Play
macOS: iTunes

For other OS or devices (e.g. game consoles, smart TV/sticks), I have no idea.

1. How do I choose the best podcasting platform for my needs?

Choosing the best podcasting platform ultimately depends on your specific needs and goals. Some key factors to consider include pricing, ease of use, storage and bandwidth limits, analytics and monetization options, and compatibility with your recording and editing software. It's important to research and compare different platforms to find the one that best fits your needs.

2. What is the difference between self-hosted and hosted podcasting platforms?

A self-hosted podcasting platform requires you to upload your podcast episodes to your own website or server, while a hosted platform provides you with storage and bandwidth for your episodes. Self-hosting gives you more control and ownership over your content, but also requires more technical knowledge and maintenance. Hosted platforms are often more user-friendly and offer additional features such as analytics and monetization.

3. Are there any free podcasting platforms available?

Yes, there are several free podcasting platforms available, such as Anchor, SoundCloud, and Podbean. However, these platforms may have limitations such as storage and bandwidth limits, and may also include advertisements in your episodes. It's important to carefully consider the features and limitations of a free platform before choosing it for your podcast.

4. Can I change my podcasting platform in the future?

Yes, it is possible to switch podcasting platforms in the future. However, this can be a time-consuming process and may result in some disruption to your listeners and analytics. It's important to carefully consider your platform choice initially to avoid the need for switching in the future.

5. Do I need to have a podcasting platform to start a podcast?

No, a podcasting platform is not necessary to start a podcast. You can self-host your podcast by uploading episodes to your own website or server, or use a free hosting service such as SoundCloud. However, using a dedicated podcasting platform can make the process easier and offer additional features for your podcast.