Choosing a Telescope: Orion vs Celestron

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Willis666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, the conversation discusses a person's experience with using their old, cheap telescope for star-gazing and their decision to buy a new, better one. They mention researching different options and being torn between the Orion and Celestron telescopes, with the Celestron being recommended due to its larger objective. They also mention the importance of considering the focal length based on the type of objects they want to observe. Finally, they suggest discussing their decision in a designated forum thread.
Willis666
Today I was bored, so I went into my closet and found an old telescope of mine. I spent like a half hour star-gazing, but quickly became bored. I couldn't see very far with this telescope, since it was a cheap one I got for Christmas a few years ago (and funny thing is, around the time I got it, I saw it in a CVS Pharmacy.) It was about $50. I decided to buy myself a nicer one, and after researching for about an hour (yes, I read the sticky.) I settled on two.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000XMT42/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007UQNKY/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The Orion one has better reviews. So far I'm leaning towards that one, but the Celestron looks like it could be good. Just wanted to check in here before I made a final decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
the celestron will be far better. the main thing you want in a telescope is a large objective (size of the primary mirror in a reflector, or lens in a refractor).

also dependent upon what kinds of things you like to observe - if wide star fields, a short focal length scope is good - if planets, moon, messier objects, then you want a longer focal length for higher magnification.

You might want to discuss this in the "Planning to buy a first telescope?" thread; stickied at the very top of the page.

1. What are the main differences between Orion and Celestron telescopes?

Both Orion and Celestron are well-known brands in the telescope industry, and they offer a wide range of products for amateur and professional astronomers. Some of the main differences between these two brands include price, design, and features. Orion telescopes are generally more affordable and user-friendly, while Celestron telescopes are known for their advanced technology and high-quality optics.

2. Which brand offers better image quality?

Both Orion and Celestron have a reputation for producing telescopes with excellent image quality. However, Celestron is often considered the leader in this aspect, as their telescopes are equipped with advanced features such as StarBright XLT coatings and EdgeHD optics, which provide clearer and sharper images. Orion telescopes also have good image quality, but they may not be as advanced as Celestron's.

3. Are there any significant differences in the mount options for Orion and Celestron telescopes?

Yes, there are some differences in the mount options offered by Orion and Celestron. Orion telescopes typically come with a manual or computerized altazimuth mount, which is easier to use and more affordable. On the other hand, Celestron telescopes usually come with a computerized equatorial mount, which is more complex but offers better tracking and alignment for astrophotography.

4. Which brand has better customer support and warranty options?

Both Orion and Celestron have a good reputation for their customer support and warranty options. However, Celestron has a wider network of service centers, which can be beneficial for customers who need repairs or replacements. Additionally, Celestron offers a longer warranty period for some of their products compared to Orion.

5. How do I choose between Orion and Celestron if I am a beginner in astronomy?

If you are new to astronomy and looking to purchase your first telescope, both Orion and Celestron have a range of options that are suitable for beginners. However, Orion may be a better choice for those on a budget, while Celestron may be a better long-term investment for those who are looking for advanced features and are willing to spend more. It's also a good idea to read reviews and compare specific models from both brands to determine which one best meets your needs and budget.