Choosing a test for infinite series.

In summary, the problem is to determine if the series ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty(\frac{k}{k+1})^k## converges or diverges by any test and state the test. The root test gives an inconclusive answer, so the series is then considered as a geometric series with a common ratio of ##r=\frac{k}{k+1}##. Taking the limit as k approaches infinity, we get ##\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}{\frac{k}{k+1}}=1##, which means the series converges. However, further analysis reveals that the series actually diverges by the divergence test. The comparison test is not applicable in this case.
Drezzan

Homework Statement

The problem is part of a review and we are only to determine if the series converges or diverges by any test, and state the test.

##\sum_{n=1}^\infty(\frac{k}{k+1})^k##

My work so far

I know that the root test gives an inconclusive answer and from there I moved to looking at the series like a geometric. I have no idea if this actually works and could use input.
$$\sum_{n=1}^\infty(\frac{k}{k+1})^k$$ geometric series ##r=\frac{k}{k+1}##

$$\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}{\frac{k}{k+1}}=1$$ r>0 series converges.

Does this work ? I keep second guessing myself but I can't find another test that works.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drezzan said:

Homework Statement

The problem is part of a review and we are only to determine if the series converges or diverges by any test, and state the test.

##\sum_{n=1}^\infty(\frac{k}{k+1})^k##

My work so far

I know that the root test gives an inconclusive answer and from there I moved to looking at the series like a geometric. I have no idea if this actually works and could use input.
$$\sum_{n=1}^\infty(\frac{k}{k+1})^k$$ geometric series ##r=\frac{k}{k+1}##

$$\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}{\frac{k}{k+1}}=1$$ r>0 series converges.

Does this work ? I keep second guessing myself but I can't find another test that works.

The first check you should apply to a series is to check whether the terms of your series approach 0 as k->infinity. If not it diverges. Do they?

True! I would like to point out I read the formula wrong and its if r> or =1 then it diverges.

Taking a look at the problem again, if we take the highest power in the numerator and the denominator, like in my last step, we get it going to 1. That means it does diverge by the divergence test.

My question is since it is ##(k+1)^k## in the denominator wouldn't that outpace the k in the numerator? I know I can factor a k out of the bottom to get ##\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{k}}## but I have only employed this method after evaluating something like the ratio test. Is it still valid?

Drezzan said:
True! I would like to point out I read the formula wrong and its if r> or =1 then it diverges.

Taking a look at the problem again, if we take the highest power in the numerator and the denominator, like in my last step, we get it going to 1. That means it does diverge by the divergence test.

My question is since it is ##(k+1)^k## in the denominator wouldn't that outpace the k in the numerator? I know I can factor a k out of the bottom to get ##\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{k}}## but I have only employed this method after evaluating something like the ratio test. Is it still valid?

It's not really obvious what its limiting behaviour is. Would you recognize what the limit of (1+1/k)^k is? Maybe it was mentioned in your text? It's pretty closely related to the limit of your sequence.

[tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty} \left(\frac{k}{k+1}\right)^k=\left(\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{k}\right)^k\right)^{-1}[/tex]

This is a well known (nonzero) limit so the series diverges by the limit test.

You were trying the comparison test, but it does not apply because we need all the terms to be less than some number less than one, and even though all terms are less than one they approach it so no number less than one exceeds them all.

Last edited:

Related to Choosing a test for infinite series.

1. What is the purpose of choosing a test for infinite series?

The purpose of choosing a test for infinite series is to determine whether a given series converges or diverges. This is important in mathematical analysis and can help in making predictions and calculations in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How do I choose the appropriate test for a given series?

Choosing the appropriate test for a given series depends on the specific characteristics of the series, such as the behavior of the terms and the presence of specific patterns or terms. It is important to have a good understanding of the different types of tests and their criteria for convergence or divergence.

3. What are some common tests for infinite series?

Some common tests for infinite series include the comparison test, ratio test, root test, integral test, alternating series test, and the convergence/divergence test. Each of these tests has its own conditions and criteria for convergence or divergence.

4. Can I use multiple tests for the same series?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple tests for the same series in order to confirm the convergence or divergence of the series. However, it is important to note that some tests may not be applicable to certain series, so it is important to choose the appropriate tests carefully.

5. Is there a definitive test for determining convergence or divergence of all series?

No, there is not a single definitive test for determining convergence or divergence of all series. Different tests are applicable to different types of series, and in some cases, the convergence or divergence of a series may be difficult to determine. It is important to have a good understanding of a variety of tests and their criteria for convergence or divergence.