Choosing Masters Program - Imperial College vs Durham

In summary, after receiving multiple offers, the speaker has narrowed their choices down to two MSc programs: MSc in Particles, Strings and Cosmology at Durham University and MSc in Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces at Imperial College London. Both programs have similar coursework and both use many of the same textbooks. However, Imperial's courses are slightly harder while Durham's are slightly broader. Durham also allows for more time for the research project. In terms of rankings, Imperial ranks higher in reputation-based rankings, but both schools rank similarly if Nobel prizes are not considered. Imperial also has a higher entry requirement and acceptance ratio. The speaker prefers Durham as a place to live, but considers long-term considerations more important. In terms of living and tuition
Independent
After getting several offers, I narrowed my choice to the following two programs:
  1. MSc in Particles, Strings and Cosmology in Centre For Particle Theory at Durham University: https://www.dur.ac.uk/cpt/graduate/lectures/
  2. MSc in Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces at Imperial College London: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/theoreticalphysics/postgraduatestudy/mastersdegree
  • The coursework is similar: both programs use many of the same textbooks. Imperial's courses seem slightly harder, which I like, Durham's slightly broader, which I like also. Durham allows a few more months for the research project.
  • AWRU in Physics ranks Imperial at 15th position, Durham at 28th. They rank the same if we ignore Nobel prizes, which matches my impression when I compare citation counts from the last 10 years. Imperial has a few more big-names (defined as someone I have heard of before:smile:).
  • Imperial ranks much higher in reputation-based rankings.
  • In both programs, the courses are taken alongside PhD students, which is great. Probably higher PhD:MSc ratio in Durham.
  • Imperial has higher entry requirement (1st) than Durham (2:1) but Durham has 50% acceptance ratio compared to Imperial's 80%. Not sure what that means for the caliber of students.
  • To me, Durham is a much more attractive place to live. I shudder at the thought of passing through the urban jungle that London is. But this is secondary to long-term considerations. I believe I will be successful in either course.
  • Difference in living and tuition costs makes Durham a much cheaper option. Again, this is a secondary consideration.
I would be very grateful for pointing out anything I have missed that might differentiate the two programs.

If my goal is admission to a decent hep-th PhD program in the USA, will Imperial's reputation give me a significant advantage over Durham?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • Comparing timetables: in Durham classes are conveniently scheduled 9-15 every day. Imperial's timetable is all over the place with multi-hour gaps, which from my experience makes for time that is hard to use well.
  • Durham offers Oxbridge-style catered college accommodation, freeing time and attention to be spent on physics.
  • Durham answered all my emails very promptly (within 5 minutes on one occasion!)
For HEP, both schools seem to be in the same league. Imperial may have an upper hand in foundations of QM and in string theory, but Durham dominates in particle phenomenology. The differences are too small to matter at a masters level.

To me, Durham appears to be a place more conducive to intellectual work, more supportive with less distractions and a better organized course. Imperial may have a better reputation, but I expect that to be insignificant compared to my individual performance. I will accept Durham's offer unless I discover a compelling reason not to.

Last edited:

1. What are the main differences between the Masters programs at Imperial College and Durham?

The main differences between the two programs are their focus and curriculum. Imperial College tends to have a more research-oriented and specialized approach to their Masters programs, while Durham offers a broader range of courses and a more interdisciplinary approach.

2. Which university has a better reputation for Masters programs?

Both Imperial College and Durham have excellent reputations for their Masters programs. However, Imperial College is typically known for its strong emphasis on research and its world-renowned faculty, while Durham is known for its vibrant student life and strong community atmosphere.

3. How do the tuition fees compare between Imperial College and Durham?

The tuition fees for Masters programs can vary greatly depending on the specific program and course of study. Generally, Imperial College tends to have higher tuition fees compared to Durham, but both universities offer a range of scholarships and financial aid options that can help offset the cost.

4. What kind of career opportunities can I expect from a Masters degree at Imperial College or Durham?

Both Imperial College and Durham have strong reputations and connections within their respective fields, so graduates from either university can expect a wide range of career opportunities. It ultimately depends on your specific program and your individual interests and skills.

5. How do I decide which university is the best fit for me?

Choosing between Imperial College and Durham ultimately depends on your personal preferences and career goals. Consider factors such as the program curriculum, research opportunities, location, and overall campus culture to determine which university aligns best with your interests and goals.