PhD in United States after Imperial MSc QFFF

In summary, the speaker has been admitted to the MSc QFFF program at Imperial College London and is seeking advice on possible career paths and the value of the program. They are also unsure if the program's content aligns with their interests in condensed matter theory and quantum information. They hope the program will make them more competitive for top PhD programs in the US, but are hesitant to accept the offer due to the timing of their applications and the potential need for a year's delay. They are seeking opinions on whether accepting the offer would be beneficial in their pursuit of a PhD.
lowea001
Hello,

I've recently been admitted to the MSc QFFF program at Imperial College London for the 2019-2020 year and am seeking advice regarding possible career paths/was wondering if anyone is in a similar situation. My end goal is to do a PhD in the United States since (for non-academic reasons) -- preferably beginning in 2020 -- but I have 2 concerns which are making me hesitate to accept the offer, despite the fact that it looks really fun:

1. Due to the application timeline for US universities, I don't think my performance in this program will affect my applications (the transcripts will not be ready in time) unless I wait a year and apply in 2021. Therefore I'm questioning the value (against the fees) of the Master's degree.

2. My areas of interest are in condensed matter theory and quantum information so I'm not sure the compulsory content of the program is optimally relevant. That being said, the topics are exciting (quantum field theory, string theory, unification) and there might be some overlap in the couple of courses that I can choose as electives (quantum information, quantum matter).

Finally, my undergraduate degree is a 50/50 mix of computer science and physics and I'd like more background in theoretical physics topics to be competitive in PhD admissions. I realize this is all subjective but I would be grateful to hear any opinions since I've had a difficult time receiving any guidance from my university/peers on this matter. Specifically, to what degree would accepting the offer make me more competitive for top PhD programs in the US?

Physics news on Phys.org
As you say, you won[t have enough track record with this university before applications are due to make much of a difference. So you need to decide whether a year's delay is worth it. Also, if it fits into your statement of purpose that will look better than if it looks like you are still in the exploratory stage.

Likes lowea001

1. What is the process for applying to a PhD program in the United States after completing an Imperial MSc in QFFF?

The process for applying to a PhD program in the United States after completing an Imperial MSc in QFFF may vary slightly depending on the specific program and university you are interested in. Generally, you will need to complete an online application, submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. You may also need to take standardized tests such as the GRE or TOEFL. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program you are interested in and plan accordingly.

2. Are there any specific requirements for international students applying for a PhD in the United States after an Imperial MSc in QFFF?

Yes, international students will typically need to provide proof of English proficiency, such as a TOEFL or IELTS score. They may also need to obtain a student visa and provide documentation of financial support. It is important to check with the specific university you are interested in for their international student requirements.

3. Can I transfer credits from my Imperial MSc in QFFF towards a PhD program in the United States?

It is possible to transfer credits from your Imperial MSc in QFFF towards a PhD program in the United States, but this will depend on the specific program and university. Some universities may have a limit on the number of credits that can be transferred, and you may need to provide detailed course descriptions and syllabi for evaluation. It is best to check with the program you are interested in for their transfer credit policies.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD program in the United States after an Imperial MSc in QFFF?

The length of a PhD program in the United States can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 years to complete after an Imperial MSc in QFFF. This may depend on factors such as the specific program, research topic, and individual progress. It is important to discuss expectations and timelines with your advisor and program director.

5. Are there any funding opportunities available for international students pursuing a PhD in the United States after an Imperial MSc in QFFF?

Yes, there are funding opportunities available for international students pursuing a PhD in the United States after an Imperial MSc in QFFF. These may include scholarships, grants, and assistantships offered by the university or external organizations. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.