Choosing My 2nd Research Internship: Impact on Grad School Applications

In summary, if you are given the choice between doing something similar to what you did last year or something different, choose something different. Doing something similar may lead to a more comfortable transition into graduate school, but you may not have as much opportunity for exploration or discovery as you would with a different project.
byzantine04
I was lucky enough to score an REU last summer and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If, given the choice, should I choose the position that is similar to what I did last year or something different; i.e., which would look better for grad school applications? Also, since I got one last year, am I more, less, or similarly likely to get an REU this year?

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
What to choose really should be entirely up to you. One of the major points of undergraduate research programs is to help students explore the different avenues of research available to them. Many simply aren't aware of what's out there and don't really find out they enjoy something until they try it. Graduate school admission committees are well aware of this and don't expect every student to know precisely what they want to do a PhD in from the moment they set foot on a university campus.

One of the major advantages to doing similar research is that you may have less of a learning curve to climb. As you learn more about the field, you'll be able to take on more responsibilities and play a bigger role in the projects. If you could continue with the same group, for example, you might have a larger chance at turning a summer project into something that's publishable. And getting a peer-reviewed paper out of an undergraduate internship is a very big thing.

The other direction tends to offer more opportunity for exploration. If you weren't sure about your last experience, you might just need to find something different. It will also expose you to more personalities and you'll get a better idea of the types of people you collaborate well with. It will also help to build up your academic network.

I can't say anything about the chances of being accepted again though. I'm not very familiar with the US REU system specifically.

If I were you, I would apply. Maybe the decision will be made for you.

Thank you, Choppy, for your thorough and thoughtful response.

1. What is a 2nd research internship?

A 2nd research internship is a second opportunity for a student or scientist to gain hands-on experience in a specific field of research. It is usually a continuation of a previous internship or a chance to explore a new area of interest.

2. How do I apply for a 2nd research internship?

The application process for a 2nd research internship may vary depending on the institution or organization offering the opportunity. Generally, it involves submitting a resume, cover letter, and any necessary documents such as transcripts or letters of recommendation. It is important to thoroughly research and follow the specific application guidelines of the institution or organization.

3. What are the benefits of a 2nd research internship?

A 2nd research internship can provide valuable hands-on experience in a specific field, allowing individuals to develop new skills and knowledge. It also allows for networking and building professional relationships, which can be beneficial for future career opportunities. Additionally, it can enhance a resume and make individuals more competitive in the job market.

4. Is a 2nd research internship paid?

The compensation for a 2nd research internship may vary. Some internships may offer a stipend or salary, while others may be unpaid. It is important to research the specific internship and institution to determine if there is compensation available. Additionally, some internships may offer academic credit instead of monetary compensation.

5. How long does a 2nd research internship usually last?

The duration of a 2nd research internship can vary depending on the institution or organization offering the opportunity. Generally, internships can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. It is important to research the specific internship to determine the expected duration and if it aligns with your schedule and goals.