Choosing the correct type of filter

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a machine that determines LED colors for a product. The machine works well for green and red LEDs but has trouble with orange LEDs due to the similarity in wavelengths between red and orange light. The speaker plans on adding an optical filter to address this issue but is unsure of the type of filter needed. They also question the possibility of using a colored filter to adjust the wavelengths of the LEDs.
zak8000
hi

i bought a machine which determines led colours by measuring intensity for a product.
the product has three leds:green,red,orange. the equipment works well for the green and red leds but fails most of the time with the orange leds. i looked up wavelength values for the colours and i found that:

Red:700-635nm
Green:560-490nm
Orange:635-590nm

you can see that the minimum wavelength value for the red light is the same as the maximum wavelength as the orange light and this is where the problem is. the machine sometimes detects orange as 636nm or 640nm which returns a fail for the led correct colour. so i was recently reading up on different types of optical filters and i plan on adding a mechanism which will hold a filter in between the leds of the product the machine which measures wavelength of the leds. but i am not sure what type of optical filter i require. i was wondering if it was possible to add a coloured filter which would reduced orange wavelength slightly and increase red wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the LED is putting out orange light and not a mix or red and yellow or other color combination that looks orange to our eyes?

Related to Choosing the correct type of filter

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a filter?

When choosing a filter, it is important to consider the type of particles or contaminants you want to filter out, the flow rate of the fluid, the temperature and pressure of the fluid, and any specific requirements or regulations for your application.

2. How do I determine the appropriate filter size?

The appropriate filter size depends on the flow rate of the fluid and the size of the particles you want to filter out. It is important to choose a filter with a large enough surface area to handle the flow rate and small enough pores to capture the particles.

3. What is the difference between depth filters and surface filters?

Depth filters are made of a porous material that traps particles throughout the thickness of the filter. Surface filters, on the other hand, have a thin layer of material that captures particles on the surface. Depth filters are typically more effective for larger particles, while surface filters are better for smaller particles.

4. What are the advantages of using a pleated filter?

Pleated filters have a larger surface area compared to flat filters, allowing for higher flow rates and longer filter life. They also have a higher dirt-holding capacity, meaning they can capture more particles before needing to be replaced. Additionally, pleated filters have a lower pressure drop, resulting in less strain on the system.

5. How often should I replace my filter?

The frequency of filter replacement depends on several factors, including the type of filter, the amount of contaminants in the fluid, and the flow rate. It is important to regularly monitor the condition of the filter and replace it when it becomes clogged or reaches its recommended lifespan.