Proof involving functional graphs and the injective property

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of functional graphs and the question of whether a graph must be functional in order to be considered injective. The problem statement presents a biconditional statement involving functional graphs and asks for a proof of the direction proving that a graph is injective. The proposed proof does not explicitly use the fact that the graph is functional, leading to a discussion on whether functional graphs are a necessary condition for injectivity. The result appears to hold if the notion of functional graph is replaced by that of a function.
Uncanny
TL;DR Summary
I retyped a question I previously posted incase reading my handwriting was keeping some from interacting:
Definition:

Let ##G## be a graph. ##G## is a functional graph if and only if ##(x_1,y_1) \in G## and ##(x_1,y_2) \in G## implies ##y_1=y_2##.

Problem statement, as written:

Let ##G## be a functional graph. Prove that ##G## is injective if and only if for arbitrary graphs ##J## and ##H##, ##G \circ (H \cap J)## ##=## ##(G \circ H) \cap (G \circ J)##.

I am concerned with the direction of the biconditional proving that ##G## is injective. I have completed a proof which seems consistent to me, but does not utilize the premise of ##G## being a functional graph anywhere in the argument (including the other direction of the biconditional). Is it simply necessary, a priori, for a graph to be a functional graph in order for it to be considered injective?

I can post my proof if needed, but here is the gist: I suppose the antecedent (assume for arbitrary graphs ##J,H## that the equality written above holds). Then I proceed via contradiction, supposing (to the contrary) ##G## is not injective. This brings into existence two elements (ordered pairs) of ##G## with unequal first elements, but equal second elements. From here, I construct ##J,H## such that I may use the equality given above to show that the unequal first elements, in fact, are equal- a contradiction.

*Nowhere do I use the fact that ##G## is a functional graph. For some reason, this isn’t sitting well. Is my conjecture above true about graphs unable to be considered injective if they are not first classified as functional?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah shoot.. sorry guys. Figuring out the formatting

I presume, although it is not stated here, that H and J are also required to be functional graphs, and to have the same vertex set as G.

The result, in this direction at least, appears to be true if we replace 'functional graph' everywhere by 'function'. So you're correct that it doesn't use the notion of functional graph as distinct from a function.

PS You need to use a double-# instead of $ for in-line latex on this site.

😅 thanks, I fixed that.

Thanks for your reply. ##J## and ##H## are actually only given to be arbitrary graphs. I attached a photo of the page the problem appears on (I’m working out of Charles Pinter’s “Book of Set Theory”) so you can verify this.

I have a feeling the premise “G must be a functional graph” is included because of some technicality (which I’m not familiar with) involving the injective property applied to graphs which must be functional a priori.

Nonetheless, it seems one can construct a graph that can satisfy the injective property without being a functional graph [##(x,y),(x,z) \in G## still technically satisfies the injective property, although ##G## is clearly not functional].

Attachments

• B565D669-072E-44B5-B2F7-6BC9EB143065.jpeg
    B565D669-072E-44B5-B2F7-6BC9EB143065.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 170

1. What is the injective property in functional graphs?

The injective property in functional graphs means that each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range. In other words, no two different inputs can produce the same output.

2. How can you prove that a functional graph is injective?

To prove that a functional graph is injective, you can use the horizontal line test. This test involves drawing horizontal lines across the graph and checking if they intersect the graph at more than one point. If there is no intersection or only one intersection, then the graph is injective.

3. Can a functional graph be both injective and surjective?

Yes, a functional graph can be both injective and surjective. This means that each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range and every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain.

4. How can the injective property be useful in real-life applications?

The injective property can be useful in various real-life applications, such as cryptography, data encryption, and biometrics. It ensures that data is secure and cannot be easily duplicated or falsified.

5. Are there any other ways to prove that a functional graph is injective?

Yes, there are other methods to prove that a functional graph is injective, such as using algebraic manipulation and substitution, or using the inverse function. These methods may be more complex but can provide a more rigorous proof of injectivity.