Christmas lights: Why in series?

In summary, light strings in series exist because it is more practical and cheaper to manufacture them for lower power incandescent bulbs. However, if a single bulb fails, the whole string will stop working. Newer products have been developed with bulbs in series that use an antifuse shunt to prevent the voltage from becoming dangerously large if a bulb fails. These products also require a fuse to ensure safe operation.
greypilgrim
Hi.

I helped my neighbour putting up (quite old, no LEDs) strings of Christmas lights and noted that some of them (different brands) are connected in parallel, others in series.

Inevitably, we found several of the serial strings not working due to defective bulbs. We replaced the visibly broken ones and thus were able to fix some of the strings, but my neighbour trashed most of the non-working ones with 50+ bulbs, heavily swearing and promising to replace them with LED next year.

I wonder why light strings in series even exist. Is there some essential advantage to this kind of wiring that makes up for the fact that one broken bulb interrupts the total current?
I also found that apparently there exist newer products with bulbs in series that still work if some of them break. How does this work?

Science news on Phys.org
For lower power incandescent bulbs, low voltage is more practical and cheaper to manufacture. Connecting an appropriate number of bulbs in series allows the string to be operated directly from mains voltage without the need for a transformer, but of course that means that a single failed bulb prevents the whole string from working.

More modern products may use an antifuse shunt within the bulb which will short out the bulb if the voltage across it becomes abnormally large because the filament has burned out. This will of course increase the voltage to the other bulbs, and requires a fuse bulb or fuse somewhere in the circuit to ensure that the current cannot get dangerously large when multiple bulbs have failed.

Likes hackhard, vanhees71 and Ibix

1. Why are Christmas lights connected in series?

Christmas lights are connected in series because it allows for the flow of electricity to be regulated. When lights are connected in series, the voltage is divided equally among each light, ensuring that they all receive the correct amount of electricity and preventing any from burning out.

2. What happens if one light in a series goes out?

If one light in a series goes out, it breaks the circuit and causes all of the lights to go out. This is because the flow of electricity is interrupted, and the remaining lights do not receive enough voltage to stay lit.

3. Why do Christmas lights sometimes flicker or dim?

Christmas lights may flicker or dim due to a faulty or loose connection in the series. This can cause the flow of electricity to be disrupted, resulting in inconsistent lighting. It is important to check and tighten all connections to ensure proper functioning of the lights.

4. How many lights can be connected in a series?

The number of lights that can be connected in a series depends on the voltage of the lights and the power source. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions to avoid overloading the circuit and causing damage or a fire hazard. Generally, it is recommended to connect no more than 3-4 sets of lights in a series.

5. Can I connect different types of Christmas lights in a series?

No, it is not recommended to connect different types of Christmas lights in a series. Lights with different voltages or wattages can cause an imbalance in the circuit and potentially lead to electrical issues. It is best to stick to one type of light when connecting them in a series.