Converting Old Filament Car Lamps to LED: Considerations for Focusing Light

In summary: That's important information.The 5000 series of filament bulbs are used in headlights and foglights. They are rated at 12.8 volts and have a wattage of 35 each. They have a projected life of 320 hours. They meet US federal DOT (Department of Transport) standards for use on public streets. They can be replaced with a LED equivalent, but it is important to know the exact model number of the bulb you are replacing.
John1397
TL;DR Summary
Old filament car lamp to LED
I want to change the the old round 5000 series filament bulbs to led. I attached a picture of some I found on Ebay. I see some led bulbs seem to mention some thing about fan. One way would be cut hole in old glass bulb and glue led in with silicon. Could use glass jar and drill hole in cover and insert led . Then would there be an issue with focusing light?

Attachments

• led.jpg
    led.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 167
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the local regulations valid for you, but (for example) in Europe car lights are safety issue, thus glues and tinkering and such are not legal.
Even some ready made 'I swear it's compatible' LED replacements won't be by the book.

So I suggest you think twice before starting.

Giving Your Old Car LED Headlights Usually Isn’t Worth It
This is quite good.
One issue is focus. Filament lights are designed to focus a tiny filament to a spot at distance. The much larger LED will have a much wider spot at distance.

Another issue is that "drop in" replacement LEDs need to have a built-in electronic circuit (which can't tolerate high temperatures) to downconvert the 12V to the levels needed by the LEDs. Even if you had a separate converter, the LEDs themselves have much lower temperature limits than filament lights.

What is a "5000 series" filament bulb ? What is the voltage rating ?
Will the bulb be fitted in a 12 volt vehicle, or in another application ?

There should be no problem replacing single filament fog lights with LED versions having the same base mounting and voltage. The heat should be less than with the original filament lamp.

There are often problems with headlight High beam / Low beam systems, such as H4, but they can be overcome once you know what you are doing.

It is the higher power LED headlamps that include a fan, and need to be fitted in a semi-sealed beam.

I see replacement on amazon for the 5006 but quit exspensive though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-11-07-39-56.png
    Screenshot_2020-11-11-07-39-56.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 165
What is the motivation to switch to LED? I'm guessing that power consumption and brightness are not the motivators. Long lifetime might be a motivation. Flexibility, such as the ability to change color or to blink in patterns could be a motivation.

LEDs typically have much longer lifetime than incandescent bulbs. But a motorcycle is a high vibration environment and that could change the numbers drastically.

Baluncore said:
What is a "5000 series" filament bulb ? What is the voltage rating ?
Will the bulb be fitted in a 12 volt vehicle, or in another application ?
5006: Common automotive headlight, High/Low beam;
rated 12.8V, 35W each of two filaments, 320hrs rated life;
envelope is PAR46, Parabolic Reflector, 4.6 inch diameter;
meets US federal DOT (Department of Transport) standards for use on public streets roadways.
Approx retail price: $11-$16 depending on retailer.

Cheers,
Tom

If you now have PAR46 sealed beam, then you must replace it with another sealed beam;
Or fit PAR46 semi-sealed beam reflectors, so you can install an LED with the appropriate base.
Search; 'PAR46 Semi Sealed' on eBay
Or just look for PAR46 LED.
H4 base Hi/Lo beam LEDs have fans and may need a simple circuit to operate correctly with the Hi beam indicator on the dash.

We need to know exactly what is now installed.
Is it Hi/Lo beam headlights, or Foglight, floodlight or spotlight ?

I did some smaller tractor lamps , made hole took 30 watt 12 volt household bulb took out circuit board used silicon to hold and seal works good.

Attachments

• 1115201212.jpg
    1115201212.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Informative
Likes Keith_McClary
John1397 said:
Then would there be an issue with focusing light?
Baluncore said:
We need to know exactly what is now installed.
Is it Hi/Lo beam headlights, or Foglight, floodlight or spotlight ?
Is it at the front of a road vehicle, or is it on a tractor.
What do you call a 5000 series?

1. What are the benefits of converting an old filament car lamp to LED?

The main benefits of converting an old filament car lamp to LED include improved energy efficiency, longer lifespan, and brighter illumination. LED lights consume less energy compared to traditional filament bulbs, resulting in lower fuel consumption and reduced emissions. They also have a longer lifespan, lasting up to 25 times longer than filament bulbs. Additionally, LED lights emit a brighter and more focused light, making them ideal for use in vehicles.

2. Is it difficult to convert an old filament car lamp to LED?

No, converting an old filament car lamp to LED is not difficult. It can be done with basic tools and some knowledge of wiring. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and consult a professional if you are not confident in your abilities.

3. How much does it cost to convert an old filament car lamp to LED?

The cost of converting an old filament car lamp to LED can vary depending on the type of LED bulb and the specific car model. Generally, LED bulbs are more expensive than traditional filament bulbs, but the energy savings and longer lifespan can make up for the initial cost in the long run.

4. Can any car use LED lights?

Most cars can use LED lights, but it is important to check the compatibility of the LED bulbs with your specific car model. Some older cars may require additional modifications to the wiring or housing for the LED lights to work properly.

5. Are there any downsides to converting to LED lights?

One potential downside of converting to LED lights is the initial cost, as mentioned earlier. Additionally, some LED bulbs may cause interference with radio or other electronic devices in the car. It is important to choose high-quality LED bulbs from reputable brands to minimize these issues.