Circle vs. Square edge problem

In summary, the person is trying to figure out the radius of a pipe that has been bent at a 90 degree angle. They have measured the lengths of the pipe before and after the bend and are trying to use those measurements to calculate the radius. The expert suggests a formula to calculate the radius based on the measurements and explains that the calculated radius will be to the middle of the pipe, not the inside or outside of the corner.
ISX
I got a problem that I need to figure out. I have a piece of pipe 20 inches long and I bend it on a radius at 90 degrees. I measure from the back of the pipe to the end of one side and get 9, I flip it the other way and do the same thing and get 13.555. If you add those you end up with a right angle vs radius' gain of 2.555 inches. Now the 90* bend is only on part of the pipe as the rest is straight. Is there any way to figure the radius based on just what I said? This isn't homework it's just something I have been working on for a few weeks that is puzzling me like crazy. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I know what you are asking, so, here is something.

First, I am not sure where you are measuring the 9 and 13.555 lengths from/to...it is not clear to me...

But, let's say that you have a 20" long pipe and that when you bend it, the length along the middle of the pipe remains the same.

Then, let's say that you measure the length of the pipe from one end of it to the middle of the 90 degree portion...in other words, you do not measure from one end to the inside of the corner, nor from one end to the outside of the corner...instead, you measure from one end to the middle of the orthogonal 'branch'

Then, I think that having those two lengths, you can calculate the radius to the middle of the corner by:

(x1 - r) + (x2 - r) + 2.pi.r/4 = pipe-length

where x1 and x2 are the two measurements and we take off r to just get the straight portions...then, we add the corner back on (just once)...this should add up to the original length assuming you did not stretch/compress the pipe during bending.

I have no idea what orthogonal means. If it means measuring to the start of the bend then that's kinda hard because there is about an inch in a real world scenario where the start of it could be so I can't do that accurately. My measurements were if you bent that pipe at a 90* and had it laying on the ground, but rolled it 90* so that one leg came straight up in the air, you would measure from the ground (back of the pipe) to the end of the leg sticking up. Then you would flip it the other way to measure the other leg.

o.k., so you are measuring to the 'back' of the corner...go ahead and take off half the diameter of the pipe from those measurements and apply the equation I have provided.

Can you let me know if I did this right.
x1-r+x2-r+(2pir/4)=pl
x1+x2-2r+(6.28r/4)=pl
x1+x2-2r+1.57r=pl
x1+x2-.43r=pl
x1+x2-pl=.43r
(x1+x2-pl)/.43=r

Is that right? I'm not the greatest at algebra.

it looks o.k.

just keep in mind that the r calculated this way will also be the radius of the corner but to the middle of the pipe, not to the inside of the corner.

Yeah that's really what I needed to find, not the inside or outside radius. Thanks for your help!

Related to Circle vs. Square edge problem

1. What is the circle vs. square edge problem?

The circle vs. square edge problem refers to the challenge of creating a perfectly sharp edge on a square or rectangular shape compared to a circular shape. This problem is commonly encountered in fields such as engineering, architecture, and manufacturing.

2. Why is it difficult to achieve a sharp edge on a square or rectangular shape?

The difficulty lies in the inherent nature of these shapes. Unlike circles, which have a continuous curve, squares and rectangles have straight lines and sharp corners that are prone to imperfections. Even the slightest deviation in the angle or length of a side can result in an uneven edge.

3. How is the circle vs. square edge problem addressed in different industries?

In engineering and manufacturing, specialized tools and techniques such as laser cutting and waterjet cutting are used to achieve precise edges on both circles and squares. In architecture, designers may opt for curved elements or use rounded corners to avoid sharp edges. In some cases, imperfections in square edges may be accepted as part of the design aesthetic.

4. Can the circle vs. square edge problem be solved?

While it is difficult to completely eliminate the challenge of achieving a perfectly sharp edge on a square or rectangular shape, advancements in technology and techniques have greatly improved the accuracy and precision of edge cutting. With the right tools and expertise, it is possible to achieve near-perfect square edges.

5. Are there any practical implications of the circle vs. square edge problem?

Yes, the accuracy of edges is crucial in many industries and applications. For example, in the manufacturing of electronic components or medical devices, even the tiniest imperfection in a square edge can affect the functionality and safety of the product. In architecture, precise edges are important for both aesthetic and structural purposes.