Circuit Analysis: Solving Homework Problems in EE

• Thread starter ryujio85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation is about a small piece of assessment involving electrical engineering and the use of mesh analysis, nodal analysis, superposition, and Thevenin's theorem. The goal is to find the voltages at points A and B, the power dissipated in each resistor, and the power supplied by each source. Additional resources are provided for further understanding.
ryujio85

Homework Statement

OK well I have this as a small piece of assessment and I am really bad at electrical engineering civil is my major heh.

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/2461/image1uw1.jpg

1. Find the voltages at A and B (with respect to reference node G) using mesh analysis,
2. Replace subcircuits G-A, A-B, and B-G by their Thevenin equivalents. Hence
find the voltages at A and B (with respect to G), the power dissipated in each
resistor in the original circuit, and the power supplied by each source.
Hint: the power supplied by the current source is about -1.8 watts.
3. Find the voltages at A and B (with respect to G) by using the superposition of
the effects of the three sources.

Homework Equations

KVL, KCL, Mesh analysis, nodal analysis, superposition, thevenin equivelants

The Attempt at a Solution

part 1 - I figured that I have to use mesh analysis to find I1, I2 and I3 and then apply the brach currents in R2 and R4 I used mesh analysis and got values for i1/i2 and i3 but don't really know exactly what to do from there
part 2/3 - I am totally lost

I realize this is a pretty poor start but electrical engineering is not something I've ever dealt with Any help/guidance is much appreciated if someone wated to give me some really specific advice my email is ryujio85@tpg.com.au and my msn is ryanmarshall_85@hotmail.com Id reimburse you for your time if you helped me out at a normal tutor rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
One's textbook should cover the application of Thevinin's theorem.

See if this helps - http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/8.html

Also - http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_6/index.html

The power dissipated in a resistor is simply the product of the voltage drop, VR across that resistor and the current through the resistor, which is also VR2/R or alternatively I2R.

I understand that not everyone may have a strong background in electrical engineering. However, it is important to approach this problem with a logical and systematic approach.

Firstly, it is important to carefully examine the circuit and identify the different components and their values. This will help in applying the relevant equations and techniques for solving the problem.

In part 1, you correctly identified that mesh analysis should be used to solve for the currents in the circuit. Remember to apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to each mesh to determine the equations needed to solve for the currents.

In part 2, you are asked to replace subcircuits with their Thevenin equivalents. This involves finding the equivalent resistance and voltage for each subcircuit. Once you have these values, you can use them to solve for the voltages at A and B, as well as the power dissipated in each resistor and the power supplied by each source.

In part 3, you are asked to use superposition to find the voltages at A and B. This involves considering the effects of each source separately and then adding them together to get the final voltage values.

I understand that this may be a challenging problem for someone with a limited background in electrical engineering, but with careful analysis and application of the relevant equations and techniques, it is possible to arrive at a solution. I would recommend seeking help from a tutor or classmate who may have a stronger understanding of the subject. Additionally, there are many online resources and tutorials available that may be helpful in understanding the concepts and solving similar problems. Good luck with your assessment.

Related to Circuit Analysis: Solving Homework Problems in EE

What is the purpose of circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is used to understand and analyze the behavior of electrical circuits. It helps in solving homework problems in EE by applying various techniques and methods to determine the voltage, current, and power in a circuit.

What are the steps involved in solving a circuit analysis problem?

The first step is to draw the circuit diagram and label all the components. Then, apply Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to write down equations for the circuit. Next, use algebraic methods to solve the equations and find the unknown variables. Finally, check the solution by verifying that all the equations are satisfied.

What are the common techniques used in circuit analysis?

The most commonly used techniques in circuit analysis include nodal analysis, mesh analysis, and superposition. Nodal analysis is based on Kirchhoff's current law and is used to find the voltages at different nodes in a circuit. Mesh analysis uses Kirchhoff's voltage law to find the currents in different loops of a circuit. Superposition is used to analyze circuits with multiple independent sources.

What are the most common mistakes made in circuit analysis?

One of the most common mistakes is forgetting to include all the components in the circuit diagram. Another mistake is not properly labeling the voltage polarities and current directions. Additionally, not applying the correct equations or making algebraic errors can also lead to incorrect solutions.

What are some tips for solving circuit analysis problems more efficiently?

Some tips for solving circuit analysis problems more efficiently include practicing drawing circuit diagrams, understanding the fundamentals of Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws, and being familiar with the various techniques used in circuit analysis. It is also helpful to break down complex circuits into smaller, simpler sub-circuits and to double-check all calculations and solutions. Additionally, seeking help from peers or a tutor can also improve problem-solving skills in circuit analysis.