Circuit Components-Potential differencd across LDR (photoresistor)

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential divider circuit made up of a LDR and a variable resistor, used to activate a buzzer circuit at a specific voltage. The resistance of the variable resistor and LDR are given, and the potential difference across the LDR is calculated by adding the resistance of the LDR to the variable resistor and finding the ratio to the total resistance, then multiplying by the voltage. The resistance of the buzzer is not taken into account due to its large size.
wei1006

Homework Statement

The following figure shows a potential divider circuit made up of a LDR and a variable resistor R. It is used to activate a buzzer circuit which sounds only at 2.6V and above. The resistance of the variable resistor varies from 100ohm to 10kohm while the resistance of the LDR varies from 110ohm to 3.6kohm.
1432254436688.jpg

Switch is now closed. The variable Resistor R is set at 2.4kohm and tje potential divider circuit is placed in a room with no light. Calculate the potential difference across the LDR.

Homework Equations

V=RI
Total p.d across a series circuit= add up the p.d of all components.
Total resistance across a series circuit= add up resistance of all components
Current is the same throughout the whole series circuit.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of ratio and proportion but I could not find the total resistance as I do not have the Total current... The final answer of this question is 3.6V.

Please help, thank you![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I got the answer...though I 'm wondering why the resistance of the buzzer is not taken into account. Since there is no light, the resistance of the LDR would be at max value, 3.6kΩ. So just add it with resistance of variable resistor to get and find the ratio of the resistance of LDR to total. Multiply that answer with 6V.

Oh I see. Thank you! The resistance of the buzzer is extremely large(stated in part 2 of the question) and I guess that is related to why it is not regarded...

1. What is an LDR (photoresistor)?

An LDR, or light-dependent resistor, is an electronic component that changes its resistance based on the amount of light it is exposed to. It is made of a semiconductor material that becomes more conductive when light falls on it.

2. How does an LDR work?

When light is shone on an LDR, the photons in the light interact with the semiconductor material, causing the material's electrons to move and creating a flow of current. This changes the resistance of the LDR, which can be measured and used to determine the amount of light present.

3. What is the potential difference across an LDR?

The potential difference, also known as voltage, across an LDR depends on the amount of light it is exposed to. When there is more light, the resistance decreases and the potential difference decreases as well. When there is less light, the resistance increases and the potential difference increases as well.

4. How is an LDR used in circuits?

LDRs are commonly used in circuits that require a response to changes in light levels. They can be used as sensors in automatic lighting systems, cameras, and other devices that need to detect light. They can also be used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit, such as in a night light.

5. What are the advantages of using an LDR in a circuit?

One major advantage of using an LDR in a circuit is its ability to respond to changes in light levels. This makes it a useful component in many applications, such as security systems and outdoor lighting. Additionally, LDRs are relatively inexpensive and easy to use, making them a popular choice for electronic projects.