Resistors in Series - Lab data confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab on resistors in series and the discrepancies in the data obtained. It is mentioned that the current should be the same at different points in a series circuit, and the voltage should have different values. However, the data collected does not follow these trends and may suggest a parallel circuit. The use of Ohm's law is also mentioned in calculating resistance. It is suggested that the resistors may have been set up in parallel and the current meter may have been misread. The conversation ends with the suggestion to repeat the experiment and clarification on the set up of the resistors.
shmoop

Homework Statement

(see my attached photo to better understand where I am coming from!)

So after some research, I've discovered that the current at different points in a simple series circuit is supposed to be the same value, and that the voltage is supposed to be different values.

I performed a lab on resistors in series the other day, and I believe my data is incorrect.
The majority of the data I got tells me that I may have set my circuit up as a parallel series - however the fact that the total measured current is not equal to the sum of the separate currents measured at each resistors conflicts with this. (see attached image of my lab data for clarity!)

Furthermore, due to the value of the total current as well as the value of the total voltage, the total R calculated using Ohm's law is equal to the Req that was calculated through adding the individual resistances up (which were also calculated through Ohm's law).

I am wondering, what did I do to obtain this kind of data information? As it does not conform what I would designate as a series circuit, nor a parallel circuit.

Does anyone have any idea what I have done to obtain this lab data? What kind of circuit did I create?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Homework Equations

Variables:
V=Voltage (V)
I=Current(A)
R=Resistance (Ohms)

V=IR

Rtotal(series circuit)=R1+R2+R3

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure. I know that when I compare my total resistance with my individually calculated resistances (which were then used to, I get the same value. However, the current and voltage do not follow the trends of a series circuit. I thought potentially I mixed up the voltage and current values - but that is not the case. Because then the comparative resistance values do not match as they currently do.

Attachments

• 21362985_10212281109076164_594219238_n (1).jpg
    21362985_10212281109076164_594219238_n (1).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be nice if they would let you repeat this laboratory experiment, but oftentimes, in the introductory courses, laboratory time is at a premium. It looks like you may have set the resistors in parallel as you mentioned, but I think you also misread the scale on the current meter. Most likely you measured milliamps and not amps. You would not have a current of 50 amperes=that is some very hefty current that would require thick cables and a powerful power supply to generate.

Charles Link said:
It would be nice if they would let you repeat this laboratory experiment, but oftentimes, in the introductory courses, laboratory time is at a premium. It looks like you may have set the resistors in parallel as you mentioned, but I think you also misread the scale on the current meter. Most likely you measured milliamps and not amps. You would not have a current of 50 amperes=that is some very hefty current that would require thick cables and a powerful power supply to generate.

You're probably correct. However this was my set up... and it looks alright to me?

Is there a reason why when I use R=R1+R2+R3
That it works? If it were parallel it would not... correct?
IMG_6541.JPG

You show the resistors connected in series. Explain how you measured the individual current in each resistor.

1. What is the purpose of conducting a lab experiment on resistors in series?

The purpose of this lab experiment is to study the behavior of resistors when connected in series and to analyze the relationship between the total resistance and individual resistances in a series circuit.

2. What are the potential sources of confusion in collecting data for this experiment?

One potential source of confusion could be incorrect measurement of resistance values due to error in the measurement equipment or human error. Another source could be improper connection of the resistors in series, leading to incorrect readings.

3. How can we minimize errors in data collection for this experiment?

To minimize errors, it is important to carefully follow the instructions for setting up the circuit and use accurate measurement equipment. It is also recommended to take multiple readings and calculate an average value to reduce the impact of any outliers.

4. What is the expected trend in the data for resistors in series?

The expected trend is that the total resistance in a series circuit will be equal to the sum of individual resistances. In other words, as more resistors are added in series, the total resistance will increase.

5. How can the results of this experiment be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of resistors in series is utilized in many electronic devices and circuits, such as in household appliances, cars, and computers. Understanding the relationship between total resistance and individual resistances in a series circuit is essential in designing and troubleshooting these devices.