Circuit Element Question using Kirchoff's law

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem involving power and current balance. The attempt at a solution includes calculations for power absorbed and delivered, but there is confusion about which elements are absorbing or delivering power. The correct approach is to consider the direction of current flow in each element, with current entering the positive terminal and leaving the negative terminal indicating power absorption. The final answer for power absorbed and delivered is 4230W. The value for i_g is obtained through a current balance.
Paymemoney

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/355/circuit2.png

Homework Equations

[tex]P=VI[/tex]
[tex]P=I^2 R[/tex]

[tex]V=IR[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The part a is all correct.
[tex]i_\wedge = 5A[/tex]
[tex]i_o = 2A[/tex]
[tex]v_o = 80V[/tex]

This is what i have done in part b but it is not correct because P_delivered not equal to P_absorbed.

[tex]P_d = (50*7)+(20*40)[/tex]
[tex]P_d = 1150W[/tex]

[tex]P_a = (5^2*18)+(2^2*40)+(8*5)(20)[/tex]
[tex]P_a = 1410W[/tex]

I am not sure if the dependent voltage source is power absorbed or delivered.

Can somebody explain to me what have they done in the part b answers. For instance how did they get the values for [tex]i_g[/tex]?
[PLAIN]http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6798/circuit2answer.png

P.S

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have mixed up which elements are absorbing power and which are delivering. The way i have always though about it (not that i need to think about it often, being a chemical engineering major haha) is that when current enters the positive terminal and leaves the negative terminal of an element, the element is absorbing power (and vice versa). Doing this gave me an answer of 4230W being absorbed and delivered in total.

It looks to me that ig is obtained by a current balance.

Last edited:

1. What are Kirchoff's laws?

Kirchoff's laws are fundamental principles in circuit analysis that describe the behavior of electric currents in a circuit. They are named after German physicist Gustav Kirchoff and are used to determine the voltage and current in a circuit.

2. What is Kirchoff's first law?

Kirchoff's first law, also known as the law of conservation of charge, states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit must equal the total current leaving that junction. This is based on the principle that charge is conserved and cannot be created or destroyed.

3. What is Kirchoff's second law?

Kirchoff's second law, also known as the voltage law, states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop circuit must equal the sum of the voltage sources in that same loop. This law is based on the principle of energy conservation.

4. How are Kirchoff's laws used to solve circuit problems?

Kirchoff's laws are used in conjunction with Ohm's law and other fundamental principles to analyze and solve complex circuit problems. By applying these laws, we can determine the voltage, current, and resistance in different parts of a circuit and predict how the circuit will behave under different conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to Kirchoff's laws?

While Kirchoff's laws are very useful in solving circuit problems, they do have some limitations. They assume ideal conditions, such as no resistance in wires, and do not take into account the effects of inductance and capacitance. Additionally, these laws are only applicable to DC circuits and may not be accurate for AC circuits.