Untangling a Confusing Circuit: Solving Kirchoff's DC Laws

In summary, the student is having difficulty understanding the way current circulates through the circuit. Kirchoff's DC circuits laws only apply, and no resistive simplification is done. The student is trying to solve the problem, but is having difficulty understanding the English language. Better images have been uploaded, and the thread will have descriptive titles in addition to the thread titles.
Santilopez10

Homework Statement

It’s a rather confusing circuit, I’m having problems trying to understand the way current circulates through the circuit.

Homework Equations

Kirchoff’s DC circuits laws only, no resistive simplification neither nodal analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

I’ll attach my intent to do it, and the question itself.
(By the way, I understand that negative current would mean that it is circulating in the wrong direction right?)

4. Translation

The currents I_a and I_b of the circuit have values 4A and -2A in that respective order.
A) Find I_g
B) Find the power dissipated by each resistence
C) Find V_g
D) Show that the power delivered by the current source is equal to that dissipated by every other circuit element.

Attachments

• 88AE53FA-8248-4B37-A26D-99457C1F41D4.jpeg
    88AE53FA-8248-4B37-A26D-99457C1F41D4.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 353
  • 426E77E9-F0A4-49EA-BC93-7AAF8D814B99.jpeg
    426E77E9-F0A4-49EA-BC93-7AAF8D814B99.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 341
  • 70DFCF1C-7B38-40DD-94B3-5FE7895F9FA4.jpeg
    70DFCF1C-7B38-40DD-94B3-5FE7895F9FA4.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your images are unreadable

phinds said:
Your images are unreadable
You are right about the second one, I’ll fix ASAP.

Santilopez10 said:
You are right about the second one, I’ll fix ASAP.
And why do you think I'm not right about the first one?

phinds said:
And why do you think I'm not right about the first one?
Because I can assure you that it is easily readable! I will try to take one more pic again if you want, but you should check an oculist maybe, jk hahaha.

Santilopez10 said:
Because I can assure you that it is easily readable! I will try to take one more pic again if you want, but you should check an oculist maybe, jk hahaha.
Well, if it's easy for you to read, then great. YOU solve the problem. If you want people here to help you, don't make it hard.

AhHa. When I click on the link instead of the thumbnail, it IS readable.

Now you just have to post one that is in English.

EDIT: Hm ... you must be editing your post, both the link and the thumbnail are gone now.

Great. Now they are not only in Spanish, they are posted sideways. Do you really want anyone here to help you?

phinds said:
AhHa. When I click on the link instead of the thumbnail, it IS readable.

Now you just have to post one that is in English.

EDIT: Hm ... you must be editing your post, both the link and the thumbnail are gone now.
Just uploaded better ones, hope you like them.
Will edit the post with a translation now.

Santilopez10 said:
Just uploaded better ones, hope you like them.
Will edit the post with a translation now.
Good. Post them rightside up, not sideways.

phinds said:
Good. Post them rightside up, not sideways.
Done!

Your images are not legible, and are mostly scratched out work. This is not an appropriate way to present your work to people who are offering to help you. If your work is not easily legible, they will likely move on to other homework help requests that won't require so much effort to deal with.

Please type in your work so that helpers can read and quote it easily. You can use LaTeX , or take advantage of the formatting options provided in the edit window's header menu bar to to implement subscripts or superscripts (##x_2##, ##x^2##). The ##\Sigma## icon will present a menu of Greek characters and other math symbols that you can select.

1. What is Kirchoff's DC Law?

Kirchoff's DC Law, also known as Kirchoff's Circuit Law, is a set of rules used to analyze and solve complex electrical circuits. It is based on two principles: the law of conservation of charge, which states that the total current entering a junction must equal the total current leaving the junction, and the law of conservation of energy, which states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of the voltage rises.

2. Why is it important to use Kirchoff's DC Law?

Kirchoff's DC Law is important because it allows us to determine the current and voltage at any point in a circuit, and to predict how a circuit will behave under different conditions. It is a fundamental tool for understanding and designing electronic systems, and is used in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and telecommunications.

3. How do you apply Kirchoff's DC Law to a circuit?

To apply Kirchoff's DC Law to a circuit, you must first identify all the components in the circuit, including resistors, capacitors, and voltage sources. Then, you can use Kirchoff's Current Law to analyze the currents flowing into and out of each junction, and Kirchoff's Voltage Law to analyze the voltages around each closed loop in the circuit. Finally, you can use these equations to solve for the unknown currents and voltages.

4. What are some common challenges when using Kirchoff's DC Law?

One common challenge when using Kirchoff's DC Law is dealing with complex circuits that have multiple loops and branches. Another challenge is that the equations can become quite lengthy and difficult to solve, especially when there are many components in the circuit. Additionally, it is important to carefully consider the direction of current and voltage when applying the laws, as a mistake in direction can lead to incorrect solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to Kirchoff's DC Law?

While Kirchoff's DC Law is a powerful tool for analyzing circuits, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning that the currents and voltages are not changing over time. It also assumes that the components in the circuit behave according to Ohm's Law and other basic principles of electricity. Therefore, it may not accurately predict the behavior of circuits with non-ideal components or in dynamic conditions.