Circuit with Four Resistors and Two Switches

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the potential difference Vcd in a circuit with four resistors connected to a battery, where switch S2 is closed and switch S2 is open. The discussion includes using the equations Rp= Σ(1/Ri)-1 and Rs = ∑Ri to find the total resistance and current, as well as using KCL to find the current through the second switch when it is closed.
Jake Russell

Homework Statement

Four resistors connected to a battery are shown in the figure (at bottom). The switch S2 is closed and switch S2 is left open. What is the magnitude of the potential difference Vcd

Homework Equations

Rp= Σ(1/Ri)-1

Rs = ∑Ri

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Seeing as c and d aren't directly connected since S2 is open, I attempted to find the total resistance using the two resistance equations above and from that find the total current. After that, I divided the total current by two since the total resistance on both sides are the same, and multiplied that by the total of the top resistance. Next I added the current multiplied by the bottom left resistor and subtracted the current multiplied by the bottom right resistor, but I don't think this is correct.
upload_2016-3-2_18-18-20.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jake Russell, Welcome to Physics Forums!

The mage that you tried to attach isn't viewable. Can you upload it again?

I ended up figuring out this question (I wasn't starting at a and not c), but I have another one. How would I find the current through the second switch when it is closed?

With switch S2 closed can you find the potential at node cd? (Since S2 joins c and d together, they become a single node).

Knowing the potentials at a,b, and c, can you write a KCL equation at location c?

Work out the voltage drop across each resistor (easy) then calculate the current in each resistor and mark it on the diagram. Apply KCL at either node c or d.

Edit: cross posted with gneill.

1. What is the purpose of a circuit with four resistors and two switches?

A circuit with four resistors and two switches is used to control the flow of electricity and to create different pathways for the current to travel. It can also be used to manipulate the resistance of the circuit, which can affect the voltage and current in the circuit.

2. How do the switches in this circuit function?

The switches in this circuit act as gates, controlling the flow of electricity. When a switch is open, it breaks the circuit and stops the flow of current. When a switch is closed, it completes the circuit and allows current to flow through it.

3. What is the purpose of having four resistors in this circuit?

The resistors in this circuit are used to limit the flow of electricity and reduce the amount of current in the circuit. This is important to prevent damage to the components in the circuit.

4. How does the number of resistors affect the overall resistance of the circuit?

The more resistors that are added to a circuit, the higher the overall resistance will be. This is because resistors are added in series, meaning the resistance of one resistor is added to the resistance of the next.

5. What are some potential applications for a circuit with four resistors and two switches?

This type of circuit can be used in a variety of applications, such as in household electronics, automotive systems, and industrial machinery. It can also be used in scientific experiments to study the effects of resistance and current flow.