Circuit y(t)=|x(t)|, LIT system?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a circuit that outputs the absolute value of an input signal is a LTI system. The criteria for a system to be LTI include being linear and time invariant. The function in question meets the first criteria, but further analysis is needed to determine if it meets the second criteria.
znaya

Homework Statement

Consider a circuit which output is the absolute value of the input signal, this is, y(t)=|x(t)|?

a) this circuit is not a LIT system because it implements a non linear operation;

b) this circuit is a LIT system that creates phase distortion;

c) this circuit is a LIT system that creates amplitude distortion;

d) this circuit is a LIT system that creates amplitude and phase distortion.

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was... it's not linear because it will "convert" only the negative part of the sinusoid but then... isn't this because of the phase? I can't decide between a) and b).

Could someone please give a help?

Physics news on Phys.org
znaya said:
My first thought was... it's not linear because it will "convert" only the negative part of the sinusoid

To answer a mathematical question, you should think in terms of mathematics. What's the mathematical definition of a linear time independent system (- if that's what "LIT" abbreviates. The more common abbreviation is "LTI".)

it means that the system will do the same no matter what time...

znaya said:
it means that the system will do the same no matter what time...

That isn't a mathematical description. Look up the mathematical definition of an LTI system. What mathematical laws must it follow?

I think you mean LTI: Linear Time invariant.
for a system to be LTI it has to meet to criteria.
1. it has to be linear
(S is a system operator)

S [ x1(t) + x2(t)] = S [x1(t)] + S [x2(t)]

and

S [ a x1(t) ] = a S [x1(t) ]

2. it has to be time invariant
y(t - T) = S [x(t - T)]
for any T or t

so znaya, does your function meet the first criteria?
use two inputs, say -2 and 2

Stephen Tashi said:
That isn't a mathematical description. Look up the mathematical definition of an LTI system. What mathematical laws must it follow?

http://www.icoachmath.com/math_dictionary/Linear_Function.html

Definition of Linear Function
A function that can be graphically represented in the Cartesian coordinate plane by a straight line is called a Linear Function.

donpacino said:
I think you mean LTI: Linear Time invariant.
for a system to be LTI it has to meet to criteria.
1. it has to be linear
(S is a system operator)

S [ x1(t) + x2(t)] = S [x1(t)] + S [x2(t)]

and

S [ a x1(t) ] = a S [x1(t) ]

2. it has to be time invariant
y(t - T) = S [x(t - T)]
for any T or t

so znaya, does your function meet the first criteria?
use two inputs, say -2 and 2

for x=-2, y=2
for x=2, y=2
for x=(2+(-2)) y=0

i see...

so it seems my first thought was right...

Stephen Tashi, donpacino, thank you so much for your help.

1. What is a LIT system?

A LIT system is a type of circuit that uses a linear, time-invariant (LTI) system to process signals. This means that the system's output depends only on its current and past inputs, and is not affected by the time at which the inputs are applied.

2. How does the LIT system work?

The LIT system works by using a combination of resistors, capacitors, and inductors to process the input signal. These components are arranged in a specific way to create a linear, time-invariant response to the input signal.

3. What is the difference between an LIT system and other types of circuits?

The main difference between an LIT system and other types of circuits is that the LIT system has a predictable and consistent response to input signals. Other types of circuits, such as nonlinear or time-varying circuits, may have a more complex or unpredictable response.

4. What are the advantages of using an LIT system?

Some advantages of using an LIT system include its stability, predictability, and simplicity. LIT systems are also easier to analyze and design compared to other types of circuits.

5. Can the LIT system be used in real-life applications?

Yes, LIT systems are commonly used in various real-life applications, such as audio and video processing, control systems, and communication systems. They are also used in electronic devices, such as amplifiers and filters, to process signals and improve their quality.