Circular apertures in rectangular waveguides

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of modeling circular apertures in a transverse metallic plate in a rectangular waveguide. The book "Waveguide Handbook" by N. Marcuvitz, on page 238, is mentioned as a potential source of information on this topic, as well as the book "Field Theory of Guided Waves" by R Collin, which also includes a list of further references. The question is raised about whether a near-field or far-field condition should be considered when performing theoretical SE calculations, and the concept of near and far fields is briefly explained. The conversation concludes with a clarification of the term "SE calculation" and the statement that the approach is to solve Maxwell's equations with correct boundary conditions.
jga
I wish somebody could tell me if he knows articles or information about modeling circular apertures in a transverse metalic plate in a rectangular waveguide. It appears in the "Waveguide Handbook" by N. Marcuvitz, on page 238. Can anybody help me to find more information about this theme? Thanks a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
R Collin, Field Theory of Guided Waves, 2nd ed. (1991) treats apertures in both transverse and long waveguide walls. He also gives an extensive list of references for further exploration.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will check the book as fast as I can. Other replies will be welcomed, too.

Hi,

When you are dealing with apertures and performing theoretical SE calculations, would you consider a near-field or a far-field condition? Or both?

i.e. do we have to take into account about the RF or EM wave proximity to the aperture, apart from the aperture dimensions??

Thanks.

anyone?

thanks

The question doesn't completely make sense since there's no far field inside a waveguide. Near and far fields are antenna concepts. [BTW, what's an "SE calculation"?] The approach is to solve Maxwell's equations with correct boundary conditions, and you're never far from a boundary.

Thank you.

SE = shielding effectiveness calculation. I was curious to know if shielding effectiveness is calculated separately if the EM source is very close to the aperture or very far from it.

What is a circular aperture in a rectangular waveguide?

A circular aperture in a rectangular waveguide is a circular opening in the broad wall of the waveguide. It allows electromagnetic waves to enter or exit the waveguide and is used to control the direction and intensity of the waves.

What are the applications of circular apertures in rectangular waveguides?

Circular apertures in rectangular waveguides have various applications in the field of microwave and antenna engineering. They are commonly used in microwave filters, antennas, and other waveguide components to control the propagation and direction of electromagnetic waves.

How are circular apertures in rectangular waveguides designed?

The design of circular apertures in rectangular waveguides involves calculating the dimensions and position of the aperture based on the desired frequency, waveguide size, and other parameters. This is usually done using electromagnetic simulation software or analytical formulas.

What are the advantages of using circular apertures in rectangular waveguides?

Circular apertures in rectangular waveguides offer several advantages, such as low loss, high power handling capability, and low cross-talk between adjacent waveguides. They also provide good control over the direction and polarization of electromagnetic waves.

Are there any limitations to using circular apertures in rectangular waveguides?

One limitation of using circular apertures in rectangular waveguides is that they can only be designed for specific frequencies and cannot be easily tuned. They also require precise machining and alignment, which can be costly and time-consuming.