Circular Motion: Find Angle of Inclination of String

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a small bob suspended from a fixed point by a string and rotating in a horizontal circle. The angle of inclination of the string is found using the formula tan θ = opposite/adjacent. The concept of angular velocity is also mentioned, with the formula ω = v/r being used to find it. The need to convert angular velocity to radians per second is also mentioned.
jinhuit95

Homework Statement

A small bob is suspended from a fixed point by a string 0.50m long. It is made to rotate in a horizontal circle of radius 0.40m, the center of this circle being vertically below the point of support. Find the angle of inclination of the string, with respect to the vertical.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was to draw the diagram out and i used tan θ = 0.4/0.5. θ=38.7(1d.p.) Am I correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi jinhuit95! welcome to pf! :smile:
jinhuit95 said:
A small bob is suspended from a fixed point by a string 0.50m long. It is made to rotate in a horizontal circle of radius 0.40m, the center of this circle being vertically below the point of support.

i used tan θ = 0.4/0.5

no, tan = opp/adj (opposite over adjacent), but .5 isn't the adjacent side, is it? :wink:

Yes yes I solved it already but now how do I find angular velocity?? Do I use 2pi/t?? The thing is I don't know how to find t.

Okay! I have another question. Angular velocity is 2pi/t?? T is revolution per sec or radian per sec??

angular velocity is always radians per second

so if the period is T seconds, that means it goes 2π radians in T seconds …

ie 2π/T radians per second :biggrin:

(but you won't need to find T … the centripetal acceleration formula already has the angular velocity, ω = v/r, in it :wink:)

So if they give u period in terms of revolutions per sec, you have to change it to radians per sec??

jinhuit95 said:
So if they give u period in terms of revolutions per sec, you have to change it to radians per sec??

revolutions per second isn't a period, it's an angular velocity

and yes, you must convert angular velocity to radians (not revolutions) per time, or the formulas won't work

Wrong post, sorry.

Related to Circular Motion: Find Angle of Inclination of String

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object's distance from a fixed point remains constant. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed and a continuously changing direction.

2. How is the angle of inclination of a string related to circular motion?

The angle of inclination of a string refers to the angle between the string and the horizontal plane. In circular motion, this angle is important because it determines the direction of the object's velocity and acceleration at any point along the circular path.

3. How do you find the angle of inclination of a string in circular motion?

The angle of inclination can be found using basic trigonometric functions. By measuring the length of the string and the object's height from the center of the circular path, you can use the tangent function to find the angle of inclination.

4. Why is the angle of inclination important in circular motion?

The angle of inclination is important because it can help us understand the object's motion and its relationship to the circular path. It also allows us to calculate the object's velocity and acceleration in different points along the path.

5. What factors can affect the angle of inclination in circular motion?

The main factor that affects the angle of inclination is the radius of the circular path. A larger radius will result in a smaller angle of inclination, while a smaller radius will result in a larger angle of inclination. Other factors include the object's mass, speed, and the force acting on the object.