Circular motion/Gravitation

• Thread starter MPat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circular
In summary: Fr does not always have to equal mg. In some cases it can be other values, depending on the situation.
MPat

Homework Statement

Earth is a spherical object, which completes a full rotation every 24 hours. How long should the day on Earth be so that an object at the equator is able to float freely above the ground?

Homework Equations

v=2πr/T
Fr=mv^2/r
v=velocity
r= radius
T = time for comleting 1 revolution in seconds
Fr= centripetal force/force in a radial direction

The Attempt at a Solution

1 revolution in 24 hours so T = 24x3600sec = 86400

Fr=mv^2/r
Fr at the Earth is equal to mg
mg=mv^2/r
mass cancels out
g=v^2/r Eq. 1

v=2πr/T
vT/2π = r Eq. 2

Sub Eq. 2 into 1

g=v^2/(vT/2π)
re arrange the equation to
v=gT/2π
v= 9.8*86400/2π
v=134 760m/s

Thats where I'm at so far...I'm just not sure if that's correct...and if so where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
MPat said:
1 revolution in 24 hours so T = 24x3600sec = 86400
This is where you're messing up. That value for T is what the period is now. You want to solve for the period when the Earth is sped up so that the object floats.

So, do just what you did except now solve for T.

Doc Al said:
This is where you're messing up. That value for T is what the period is now. You want to solve for the period when the Earth is sped up so that the object floats.

So, do just what you did except now solve for T.

So for the object to float

Fr should equal 0 correct?

MPat said:
So for the object to float

Fr should equal 0 correct?
No. Your thinking before was correct: Fr = mg.

MPat said:
Fr=mv^2/r
Fr at the Earth is equal to mg
mg=mv^2/r
mass cancels out
g=v^2/r Eq. 1
This is good. Keep going. (Just don't assume a value for T.)

Doc Al said:
No. Your thinking before was correct: Fr = mg.This is good. Keep going. (Just don't assume a value for T.)
Ahh I'm confused.

So if I take v=gT/2π and solve for T i get T=2πr/v Eq 2...what do I do with that? I don't have any of the values to help me solve for T.

You said g=v^2/r Eq. 1 was correct...My assumption would have been that Fr would have to equal 0 in order for the object to float freely above the ground

MPat said:
You said g=v^2/r Eq. 1 was correct...My assumption would have been that Fr would have to equal 0 in order for the object to float freely above the ground
No. You want the centripetal acceleration to equal the acceleration due to gravity. (Or, in other words, the centripetal force to equal the weight.) Which is what you did to get that equation.

MPat said:
So if I take v=gT/2π and solve for T i get T=2πr/v Eq 2...what do I do with that?
Substitute that expression for v in your first equation. Then you can solve for T. (You'll need the radius of the earth. Look it up!)

Doc Al said:
No. You want the centripetal acceleration to equal the acceleration due to gravity. (Or, in other words, the centripetal force to equal the weight.) Which is what you did to get that equation.Substitute that expression for v in your first equation. Then you can solve for T. (You'll need the radius of the earth. Look it up!)
Okay...

g=v^2/r
r = 6371 km = 6371000m

v=sqrt g*r
v= 7901m/s

v=2πr/T

T=2πr/v
T=2π*6371000/7901
T=5066 seconds
T= 84.4 mins

So a day on Earth should be 84.4 mins so that an object can float freely above the equator.

One thing I'm still confused about:
Fr=mv^2/r
Fr=mg - I came to that because as an object on Earth the only thing creating a centripetal force would be gravity therefore Fr = mg. For the object to float I still thing Fr should equal 0 so that there is no pull on the object towards to earth...What am I missing here?

MPat said:
Fr=mg - I came to that because as an object on Earth the only thing creating a centripetal force would be gravity therefore Fr = mg. For the object to float I still thing Fr should equal 0 so that there is no pull on the object towards to earth...What am I missing here?
You are mixing up two frames of reference.
In an inertial frame, the object is accelerating towards the centre of the Earth. This is centripetal acceleration, v2/r, and requires a net force to produce it. If it is floating (orbiting) then the only force is mg, mg=mv2/r.
In the frame of reference of the object, there is no acceleration, so the net force is zero. But now there is the "fictitious" force, centrifugal, to balance the force of gravity: mg=mv2/r.

MPat said:
One thing I'm still confused about:
Fr=mv^2/r
What you're missing is that you must have a non-zero centripetal force in order for the object to move in a circle. For it to "float" the speed must be just right so that the required centripetal force equals the weight. If the speed is too slow (like when the period is 24 hours!) the object doesn't float--it sits on the ground. And if it's too fast, it goes flying off. Make sense?

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. In this type of motion, the object's distance from a fixed point remains constant, while its direction continuously changes, creating a circular shape.

2. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular path and keeps an object moving along that path. It is responsible for maintaining the object's direction and preventing it from moving in a straight line.

3. What is the difference between circular motion and rotational motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, whereas rotational motion refers to the spinning or rotating movement of an object around an axis. In circular motion, the distance from the center remains constant, while in rotational motion, the distance from the axis changes.

4. What is the relationship between circular motion and velocity?

The velocity of an object in circular motion is constantly changing, as the direction of the object is continuously changing. However, the speed of the object remains constant, as long as the radius of the circular path remains the same.

5. How does gravity affect circular motion?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. In circular motion, gravity acts as the centripetal force that keeps the object moving along the circular path. The strength of gravity decreases as the distance between objects increases, so the speed of the object in circular motion may change if its distance from the center changes.