Circular Motion- Just a few quick questions

In summary, the first problem involves finding the radius of a cylindrical ride based on the force and speed of the outer wall and the weight of a person sitting in the ride. The correct answer should be between 1-2, but the given attempt at a solution was incorrect due to a mistake in the weight of the person. The second problem requires finding the speed at which a car must travel on a wet patch in order to safely negotiate an unbanked circular turn, given a reduction in the maximum static frictional force by a factor of three. The relevant equations for this problem are Uk=Fk/Fn and Fc=mv^2/r.
alex7298

Homework Statement

The first problem is "at an amusement park there is a ride in which cylinrically shaped chamber spin around a central axis. People si in seats facing the axis, their backs against the outer wall. At one instant the outer wall moves at a speed of 3.2m/s and an 83kg person feels a 560N force pressing against his back. What is the radius of the chamber?

Second question- "A car is safely negotiating an unbanked circular turn at a speed of 21m/s. The maximum static frictional force actson the tires. Suddenly there is a wet patch in the road reduces the maximum static frictional force by a factor of three. If the car is to continue safely around the curve, to what speed must the driver slow the car?

Homework Equations

For the first problem, i used Fc=mv^2/r
so r=mv^2/Fc...r=(38kg)(3.2m/s^2)/560N=.69, but the answer should be between 1-2. Where am i going wrong?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start for the second question

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm about the first question. i just realized i put 38kg instead of 83.

now i only need help on the second

the only equations that i can think of that are of any relevance are
Uk=Fk/Fn
Fc=mv^2/r
and that's about it...but i don't know where to start because the only thing it gives you is velocity

To negotiate the unbanked curve Fk must be equal to Fc. In both the cases Fn remains constant. Wright down two equations for dry road and wet patch and solve for v.

Related to Circular Motion- Just a few quick questions

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path at a constant speed. In this type of motion, the object's velocity is constantly changing because its direction is constantly changing.

2. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion and preventing it from flying off in a straight line.

3. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion. Without it, the object would continue moving in a straight line tangent to the circle.

4. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object in circular motion, while centrifugal force is the outward force that would be exerted on the object if it were to break free from its circular path. Centrifugal force is often considered to be a fictitious force, as it is a result of the object's inertia rather than an actual force.

5. How is circular motion related to other types of motion?

Circular motion is a specific type of motion that can be described in terms of rotational motion, as the object is constantly changing direction. It can also be described in terms of linear motion, as the object's velocity is constantly changing along its circular path.