Circular Motion - Spacecraft in Orbit

In summary, the spacecraft is moving in a circular orbit at a speed of 7.60E+0 km/s with a period of 95.1 min. Its radius is 6.90×106 m. The radial acceleration of the satellite is 8.37 m/s^2. When the engines are fired, the spacecraft experiences a total acceleration of 6.70 m/s^2 in a direction opposite to its velocity. The question asks for the magnitude of the total acceleration after the engines start firing, which can be found by adding the radial and tangential accelerations as vectors.
Becca93
Homework Statement

A spacecraft moves in a circular orbit with a speed of 7.60E+0 km/s with a period of 95.1 min. What is the radius of the spacecraft 's orbit?
My answer, which is correct, is 6.90×106 m

What is the radial acceleration of the satellite?
8.37 m/s^2 was my answer, and it is correct.

My issue begins right here:

In order to begin its re-entry, the spacecraft engines are fired to provide an acceleration of 6.70 m/s2 in a direction opposite to its velocity. What is the magnitude of the spacecraft 's total acceleration just after the engines begin to fire.

The attempt at a solution

The only thing I really grasp from this last question is that it starts going in the opposite direction, meaning you have to overcome the velocity it is originally going into go the other way. Otherwise, I don't know where to start.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the engine starts firing you have two accelerations acting on the craft. The radial from it's orbit and the tangential from the engines. I think the question wants you to add them as vectors and get the total magnitude.

Thank you! I managed to get the answer. I appreciate the guidance.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path at a constant speed. It occurs when an object experiences a force directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How does circular motion apply to spacecraft in orbit?

Circular motion is essential for spacecraft in orbit around a planet or other celestial body. The gravitational pull of the planet causes the spacecraft to continuously move in a circular path, maintaining a constant speed and distance from the planet.

3. What factors affect the circular motion of spacecraft in orbit?

The circular motion of spacecraft in orbit is affected by the mass of the planet, the distance between the spacecraft and the planet, and the velocity of the spacecraft. These factors determine the strength of the gravitational force and the speed of the spacecraft in its orbit.

4. How is the speed of a spacecraft in orbit calculated?

The speed of a spacecraft in orbit is calculated using the formula v = √(GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance between the spacecraft and the planet.

5. Can circular motion in spacecraft be altered?

Yes, circular motion in spacecraft can be altered by changing the velocity of the spacecraft. By increasing or decreasing the speed, the spacecraft's orbit can be changed from circular to elliptical or vice versa.