Circular Motion: Tangential and Normal Acceleration

In summary, the conversation on Physicsforum involved a user seeking help with a physics problem involving tangential acceleration and velocity. The conversation included a discussion on relevant equations and information needed to solve the problem. Ultimately, the user was able to come up with a solution with the help of others on the forum.
Heexit
Homework Statement
A particle moves in a circular path of radius R in such a way that the tangential acceleration is equal to the normal acceleration. Determine the velocity as a function of time t and the initial velocity (v_0).
Relevant Equations
N/A
Hello Physicsforum!

This is my attempt:
First I realised:
##a_s=a_n##

Secondly I used since previus known formulas:
##a_n=\frac {v^2} {R}##
##v=v_0+a_s*t##

Although now I do not know how to continue, any suggestions would be appriciated!
Thanks for your help on beforehand :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Heexit said:
##v=v_0+a_s*t##
That is only if the tangential acceleration has constant magnitude.
What equation relates ##a_s## to ##v_s## more generally?

Unless you have left out some information, there is no way to determine ##v_0##.

haruspex said:
That is only if the tangential acceleration has constant magnitude.
What equation relates ##a_s## to ##v_s## more generally?

Unless you have left out some information, there is no way to determine ##v_0##.
Thanks for your help!

The only equation that I can think of is:
##a_s=\frac {dv} {dt}##
Anything more than that I can't think of :/

There might have been some inaccurate translation on my side, sorry about that. The question does not ask us for a define value of ##v_0##, rather an expression of variables, see solution in picture below:
1685002553625.png

Heexit said:
The only equation that I can think of is:
##a_s=\frac {dv} {dt}##
That will do nicely. Combine that with your other information.
Heexit said:
The question does not ask us for a define value of ##v_0##, rather an expression of variables, see solution in picture below:
View attachment 327036
Ok.

Likes MatinSAR and Heexit
Thanks for your help!
Here is my solution:
1685006197544.png

Likes Lnewqban
Likes Heexit

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the speed and direction of the object are constantly changing.

2. What is tangential acceleration in circular motion?

Tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is parallel to the circular path. It is responsible for the change in speed of an object in circular motion.

3. How is tangential acceleration calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in speed by the change in time. It is also equal to the product of the angular acceleration and the radius of the circular path.

4. What is normal acceleration in circular motion?

Normal acceleration is the component of acceleration that is perpendicular to the circular path. It is responsible for the change in direction of an object in circular motion.

5. How is normal acceleration calculated?

Normal acceleration can be calculated by dividing the square of the speed by the radius of the circular path. It is also equal to the product of the square of the angular velocity and the radius of the circular path.