Circular polarizer followed by a linear analyser

In summary, the intensity of output of circularly polarised light falling on an analyser is not dependent on the axis of the analyser. This is because circularly polarized light keeps rotating, resulting in linearly polarized output. The intensity of the output is the average value of the E field in the direction of the analyser, which is 1/2 times the circularly polarized light. This means that after passing through the first polariser, the original light of I0 becomes I0/2, and after passing through the second polariser, it becomes I0/4. This shows that circular polarization does not alter the intensity of light. The summary concludes by confirming the correctness of the information provided and suggesting to
Kaguro
Homework Statement
A beam of unpolarised light of intensity I0 falls on a linear polariser. Then this is incident on a quarter wave plate inclined at 45 degrees to the axis of the polariser. This produces circularly polarized light. Then if it is incident on an analyser inclined perpendicular to the first polariser,then what is the polarization state and intensity of the light leaving the analyser?
Relevant Equations
Nothing.
I think that the intensity of output of circularly polarised light falling on an analyser should not depend upon the axis of analyser. Because it is circularly polarized. It keeps rotating.

So, the output should be linearly polarised. The amplitude of E field in the direction of analyser is a cosine function of time. So the intensity should be average value of this, and hence is 1/2 times the circularly polarised light.

So original light I0, after falling on 1st polariser it becomes I0/2. Circular polarisation doesn't alter intensity. And finally another 1/2. So final intensity is I0/4.

Is all the above correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds correct to me. When stating that the output of the analyzer is linearly polarized light, it would probably be best to state the orientation of the polarization (even if it seems obvious to you).

Likes Kaguro
Got it!

Thanks.

1. What is a circular polarizer and linear analyzer?

A circular polarizer is a type of optical filter that only allows light of a certain polarization to pass through, while a linear analyzer is an optical component that can analyze the polarization of light passing through it.

2. How does a circular polarizer followed by a linear analyzer work?

The circular polarizer first converts unpolarized light into circularly polarized light, which then passes through the linear analyzer. The linear analyzer then filters out all but one specific polarization, resulting in a polarized beam of light.

3. What are the applications of using a circular polarizer followed by a linear analyzer?

This combination is commonly used in photography to reduce glare and reflections, as well as to enhance color saturation and contrast. It is also used in optical instruments to analyze the polarization of light and in LCD displays to control the amount of light passing through.

4. Can a circular polarizer and linear analyzer be used separately?

Yes, both components can be used separately for different purposes. A circular polarizer can be used to reduce glare and reflections, while a linear analyzer can be used to analyze the polarization of light.

5. Are there any limitations to using a circular polarizer followed by a linear analyzer?

One limitation is that this combination can only work with unpolarized light. Additionally, if the circular polarizer and linear analyzer are not aligned properly, the desired polarization effect may not be achieved.