Clarification on semiconductor physics in solar cells

In summary, energy is created in solar cells through the movement of electrons and holes across a junction between n and p cells. The band gap is the energy difference between the valence and conduction bands, and the conduction band conducts electricity through the flow of electrons while the valence band conducts electricity through the lack of electrons. Doping with the correct ratios of holes and electrons is important for efficiency, as too much can reduce the amount of light absorbed and lead to recombination.
dacruick
So, I am doing a little bit of research on how energy is created in solar cells. From what I understand, there is just a whole bunch of n and p junctions connected to each other electrons flow the same way. Or, electrons travel one way, and holes travel the other. So when you dope the silicon with say boron and phosphorus, what you are doing is creating a neutral system, but one side has electrons to give, and one side has electrons to take(holes). When electrons jump from the n-cell to the p-cell, the entire system remains neutral but there is an electric field created at the junction between the n and p cells. Is the energy then created by accelerating electrons across a potential??

And, say that there are, for the sake of simplicity, 100 free electrons. Once you accelerate them 'uphill' where do they go, and where do the electrons that continue to be accelerated come from?

And finally, I have a bunch of questions about band gaps and energy.

1) is the band gap the energy difference between the valence band and the conduction band?
2) does the conduction band conduct electricity by flowing electrons, and the valence band conducts electricity through the lack of electrons(otherwise known as holes)?
3)If I use materials to make this band gap smaller, I would essentially be increasing the amount of electrons that jump from the valence band to the conduction band, but also decreasing the potential created by accelerating the electrons through the field?
4) I read that they dope with boron and phosphorus often in very very small ratios. Sometimes parts per billion. What is the reason that doping with more holes and more electrons isn't more efficient? Is it related to the amount of energy coming from the sun's photons? If there were more holes and more electrons, would they just be sitting there because not enough photons are hitting the cell?

I realize I am asking a lot, and if you can only answer a couple questions, or even point out some flaws in my logic please do. Thank you

dacruick

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Yes, the band gap is the energy difference between the valence band and the conduction band.2) Yes, the conduction band conducts electricity by flowing electrons, and the valence band conducts electricity through the lack of electrons (otherwise known as holes).3) If you use materials to make the band gap smaller, you would essentially be increasing the number of electrons that jump from the valence band to the conduction band, but also decreasing the potential created by accelerating the electrons through the field.4) Doping with more holes and more electrons is not more efficient because it can reduce the amount of light absorbed by the cell which reduces the amount of energy generated. Additionally, doping with too many electrons or holes can lead to recombination of the electrons and holes, leading to a decrease in efficiency. The amount of photons hitting the cell does play a role in how efficient the cell is, but doping with the correct ratios of holes and electrons is important for maximizing efficiency.

1. What is a semiconductor and how does it relate to solar cells?

A semiconductor is a material that has the ability to conduct electricity, but only under certain conditions. Solar cells are made from semiconducting materials, such as silicon, that can convert sunlight into electricity through the photovoltaic effect.

2. How do solar cells work?

Solar cells work by absorbing sunlight and using the energy from the photons to knock electrons loose from atoms in the semiconductor material. These freed electrons flow through the material, creating an electric current that can be harnessed to power devices.

3. What is the bandgap of a semiconductor and why is it important in solar cells?

The bandgap of a semiconductor is the energy difference between the valence band (where electrons reside) and the conduction band (where electrons can move freely). In solar cells, a wide bandgap is desirable as it allows the cell to absorb more energy from sunlight, thus increasing its efficiency.

4. How do impurities affect the performance of a solar cell?

Impurities, such as boron and phosphorus, are intentionally added to the semiconductor material to create a p-n junction, which is necessary for the photovoltaic effect to occur. However, too many impurities can result in decreased efficiency and performance of the solar cell.

5. Can solar cells be used in all types of weather?

Solar cells can still generate electricity on cloudy or overcast days, but their efficiency is reduced compared to sunny days. Additionally, extreme weather conditions, such as heavy snow or hail, can damage the cells and decrease their lifespan.